love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2532535 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #7080 on: September 05, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm just a little bit fascinated by the almost overwhelming enthusiasm shown in this forum, the lack of different views. Maybe it's a local phenomenon, restricted to the Filmspotting community.

Oh, I don't see that, I just think that some opinions can be much louder than others. I think a lot of people, me included, loved Inception.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #7081 on: September 05, 2011, 10:04:08 AM »
I wouldn't have responded to noff's review, especially, so negatively; except that small sequence I saw recently confirmed a real downward path from my initial reaction to the film. Given my declared love for sci-fi literature I've no problem swallowing all sorts of "mumbo-jumbo" if there is a story at the end of it.
My point was that weight of exposition undermines the intent to make a film with a heart, a tragic love story. Now if Nolan wants to make a fluffy adventure romp I would probably ignore gaping plot holes. I did this with The Dark Knight, which gets criticised for a third act from another film, because that final act tries to extend the simple premise of the Joker/Batman/ Two Face trichotomy into a deeper area. Inception is still tripping over its own complexity through to the end. I realised in the part I watched that these bits of exposition never fully get satisfied (as in satisfied in a cinematic sense, never mind explained properly).

btw Loved the positive reaction to Attack the Block in the review earlier. Now that is an example of a film that is patently a piece of nonsense and has a good time with it, but still has good characters aplenty. The Thing is a memorably schlocky horror film but what a cast! What a set of personalities!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #7082 on: September 05, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »
btw Loved the positive reaction to Attack the Block in the review earlier. Now that is an example of a film that is patently a piece of nonsense and has a good time with it, but still has good characters aplenty.

...ooo...thanks for the reminder - I need to see this.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #7083 on: September 05, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »
I'm just a little bit fascinated by the almost overwhelming enthusiasm shown in this forum, the lack of different views. Maybe it's a local phenomenon, restricted to the Filmspotting community.

I have a different view! I don't like his films, aside from Badlands and some of The Thin Red Line.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #7084 on: September 05, 2011, 11:41:50 AM »
I've never understood being "conformist". I like what I like. If it so happens that hundreds of other people like it as well... good for them.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7085 on: September 05, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
I've never understood being "conformist". I like what I like. If it so happens that hundreds of other people like it as well... good for them.
Same.

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #7086 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »
There's an interplay between becoming educated about film and being a "conformist" that makes the issue more complex, especially those of us who are learning about film still.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #7087 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:12 AM »
You raise a good point, Michael.

I don't think this is exactly what you're talking about, but for me I'm going to watch Kurosawa, Hitchcock, etc. because everyone else raves about them, whether I like their films or not becomes a different matter altogether.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #7088 on: September 05, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
There's an interplay between becoming educated about film and being a "conformist" that makes the issue more complex, especially those of us who are learning about film still.
Yes because there's a stage beyond becoming educated where you can properly compare films, directors, cultures, eras because you have taken the time to watch enough films to form a bigger picture. You can only make your own considered/ biassed opinions if you have actually done, what may feel like "hard work" to get there. I've been going through that for the past year. This is never a process you can never complete but there comes a 'tipping point' where you start to realise what works and what doesn't for each individual.

The process of conforming is kind of necessary to get to the more satisfying place of the "informed opinion".
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7089 on: September 05, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
@smirnoff, my nerd-mind got sidetracked on occasion; especially during Arthur's Fred Astaire choreography in the hotel hallway. Why weren't the people in the adjacent hotel room being knocked about with their IVs and such? As long as I could keep from picking aspects apart, I had a great time.

Good question! In the next shot they should've been all battered and disheveled (like after an orgy or something) .  ;D

Saying you're an apologist means that liking/loving a Nolan film is somehow wrong. Which is absolute BS.It's actually more popular to dislike him now than to like him among us cinephiles it seems. SIGH.

Hey that's my olive branch your trampling on! ;D

I was merely trying to shield my credibility from the "masterpiece" bomb I threw in my opening remarks. Rest assured, in my own mind I'm quite content calling it such, but this is the internet and taking a hard line is a hard road. When it comes to Inception I am but a weary traveler looking to avoid the traffic.

I find the conformism among cinephiles a bit mind boggling or even worrying sometimes.

I wouldn't worry too much. Certain paths just become overgrown when there's no recent activity is all. If you blaze the trail anew you may find yourself in unexpected good company.  ;)

@verbals, it's too exhausting to defend Inception on every point you make but I will say this; BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Also, I like the techno-babble. It may sometimes be vague and inelegantly stuffed into lines but without it this movie would make NO sense. Instead it makes some kind of sense... Star Trek sense, which is good enough for most things. I agree it is circular but I still think it amounts to much.

Tell me that being stuck in limbo is not the coolest/most frightening concept to come out of a sci-fi movie since the whole star child sequnce in 2001!  ;)

I need to "Speak" A Serious Man - jury's still out on this one for me. 

It shouldn't be hard to learn Jibberish.

I kid! ASM made no sense to me whatsoever is all, so I give it a hard time when I can. :)

love