Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 1317308 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #7430 on: September 25, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
Dead Man
Marvin (Older Marshall): You William Blake?
William Blake: Yes, I am. Do you know my poetry?

Why can't Depp stop making Pirate and Burton movies and make more with Jarmusch? 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7431 on: September 25, 2011, 07:28:54 PM »
Why can't Depp stop making Pirate and Burton movies and make more with Jarmusch? 

Bills?

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #7432 on: September 25, 2011, 07:56:29 PM »

Bills?

I was going to say "cocaine", but it's essentially the same thing...
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7433 on: September 25, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »

Bills?

I was going to say "cocaine", but it's essentially the same thing...

I know there are others but just seems too dominated in 2 areas and as much as I have tried, it has been a long time since I enjoyed a Burton film.  I do look forward to Run Diary

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7434 on: September 25, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »
Towelhead or Nothing is Private

A 13 year-old  Arab-American girl is sent to live with her strict father during the (first?) Iraq war while she is discovering herself and the world around her.  Aaron Eckhart proves that he can always play a very dispicable character very well and at times it made me feel a bit like some of the moments in Happiness.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #7435 on: September 25, 2011, 08:22:13 PM »
Moneyball

This was about as solid as a film can get. And I don't want to put that across as a good or bad thing. It's good in the fact that it's so perfectly constructed by a group of people who clearly know exactly what they're doing when it comes to filmmaking, and it's often a marvel to watch that come together so well (the scene where Beane and Brand maneuver a bunch of different phone calls to pick up Rincon is almost like watching ballet). That being said, it's a bad thing in that the film doesn't really bring anything new to the table. I'm not knocking it hard for that, but I just wanted to put it out there. Good cast, great screenplay, but not the masterpiece some people seem to want to make it out to be, mainly because, when it comes right down to it, the stakes just aren't that high to get you truly invested.

(I have a feeling this will be a very similar situation to Michael Clayton come Oscar time. People will deride it for all the nominations it gets, but when they look back, I just think this one will have a lot of replay value.)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7436 on: September 25, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
I look forward to it.

Mike Shutt

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #7437 on: September 25, 2011, 08:30:37 PM »
Moneyball (2011) over at The Cave

Written by Steve Zaillion and Aaron Sorkin, starring Brad Pitt and Philip Seymour Hoffman, how could it not be great?
Editor at Reel Projection
Podcaster at No Excuses

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7438 on: September 25, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
Moneyball
I only thought Capote was okay. An okay film, with average directing and a great lead performance. Moneyball is a better film, a better directed film, with many fine performances. (None as outstanding as Hoffman in Capote, but still...) Bennett Miller does pace things too leisurely, with too many shots of Brad Pitt gazing onto the field in extreme close up. It takes over an hour before the Moneyball strategy is fully put into effect, and the scenes with the daughter hijack the film. I don't care that they're nicely played, these brief moments derail a film that's already lacking a good pace.

I keep debating over if Moneyball is slow or is it just my ADD personality. Whenever you get a scene that's full of Sorkin dialogue, Miller has the cast deliver it in a flat, matter of fact style. There are pauses here that I'm not used to. I understand the reasoning. It removes the Sorkin stigma of all the characters sounding like the same voice and it fits these showpieces with Steven Zaillian's non-stylized contribution. (And I would say the Zallian/Sorkin split is 70/30). Then again, the best scenes - the scout meetings and the trade deadline phone calls - clearly come from Sorkin's pen.

In the end, I found the film to be interesting, mostly absorbing and as someone who didn't know what happened, moderately suspenseful. A solid, professional effort that should make my Top 20 for 2011.
RATING: * * *

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that Mrs. 1SO had never seen a Brad Pitt movie. As her first time watching him, she was mostly impressed. Not blown away, but she thought he lived up to the years of hype about him being a solid, charismatic actor. She was most surprised by his comic timing. "Of course the dialogue is funny, but he has a very relaxed way of delivering it that's funny without trying to be funny." Of course, she didn't have Inglourious Basterds or Fight Club to compare it to.

ALSO...

Goldfinger
Bond #5 for Mrs. 1SO
I didn't much enjoy From Russia With Love, but this one is still fun. I love the characters, but the action is still very dated in places. With very few exceptions, most action films pre-Bullitt just weren't good with the action.

Mrs. 1SO also thought it was better than From Russia... and liked Connery quite a bit in this one. Her favorite character, in fact possibly her favorite from all she's seen, is Gert Fröbe as Goldfinger. She thought he was a great balance of hammy fun and menace. She also liked Oddjob, but wished he was more than cartoonishly unbeatable. However, she still thought a lot of it was too cheesy, and not fun cheesy but bad cheesy. The fly over sleep scene had her rolling her eyes and she has no interest in further Connery Bonds.

Mrs. 1SO will return to Pierce Brosnan as James Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies. After that I am thinking about The Spy Who Loved Me
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #7439 on: September 25, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
Towelhead or Nothing is Private

A 13 year-old  Arab-American girl is sent to live with her strict father during the (first?) Iraq war while she is discovering herself and the world around her.  Aaron Eckhart proves that he can always play a very dispicable character very well and at times it made me feel a bit like some of the moments in Happiness.

This movie I really liked, but it seems to have been rather forgotten about (maybe because of the name change?). I'm glad to seen someone else watching it.