Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2531977 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #11010 on: January 30, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
We Need to Talk about Kevin (Lynne Ramsay, 2011)
Should be in strong contention for Best Sound...

Till I read this, I was thinking I'm the only one who noticed how good it is.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #11011 on: January 30, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
Till I read this, I was thinking I'm the only one who noticed how good it is.
I nominated it for sound too.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #11012 on: January 30, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »
As did I.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #11013 on: January 30, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
All this discussion of Fish Tank reminds me that there were three films (qualifying for the 2011 filmspots) that centered around a teenage girl (ages 14-16) as main character - including Margaret and Trust - all dealing with very different issues and coming from very different backgrounds/settings.  (Each of these had one appearance in my filmspots nominations.) ... Curiously, though, only Fish Tank was written/directed by a woman (Andrea Arnold).
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #11014 on: January 30, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
Reuniting with Mickey Rourke 29 years later

Sin City
(Frank Miller & Robert Rodriguez, US, 2005)

Once upon a time I had a crush on Mickey Rourke. It was in 1983 and I was 16 years old and laid my eyes on him in Francis Ford Coppola's Rumble Fish. He was the Motorcycle Boy with sad eyes, a gentle smile and just a little bit too old and dangerous for my own safety.

My crush lasted a few more years through 9 1/2 weeks and Angel Heart and then I lost track of him for many, many years. I think he went for boxing instead, though imdb says that he also kept doing movies meanwhile. They probably weren't all that successful.

But Mickey Rourke wasn't the only remarkable thing about Rumble Fish. I also remember it for being very stylish, all shot in black and white, apart from a couple of fishes which were displayed in glowing colors. For years Rumble Fish was my favorite movie thanks to the style and Rourke's bittersweetness. To be honest I don't remember much else of it anymore, but when I did my top 100 list I included it, just for old friendship and in honor of the 16 year old me.

The other night I reunited with Mickey Rourke in Sin City. He had aged, but who hasn't? One thing was the same as on our first meeting though: it was the most stylish movie I've seen for a very long time and just like Rumble Fish it was shot in black and white with only a few dashes of color just for effect.

But the magic wasn't quite the same. It wasn't just that Rourke had lost his sex appeal. I guess I'm not quite as easily seduced by style anymore. I ended up admiring Sin City more than I loved it.

I know this movie has quite a few fans and I bet some of them are having coffee in this café at this very moment, getting it in the wrong throat as they read this. What is this lady saying, you may wonder? Doesn't she LOVE this spectacular adaptation of Frank Miller's comics? It's brilliant! It brings the art of turning graphic novels into movies to a new level! It's as if the drawings are coming alive! Did you ever see anything blacker, slicker, darker, prettier? What is there not to love about it?

Well, let me put it this way: I was on my toes for the first 15 minutes, my jawed dropped, at awe with the sheer beauty of it. And the violence I'd heard so much about didn't affect me very much. It's not the over-the-top acts that make me nauseous. So what if someone gets turned into a pez dispenser, their head hanging in a thin slice? It's just a fantasy. (On the other hand show me a father slapping his son or a man raping a woman and I'll want cover my face.)

My problem wasn't the violence. My problem was the lack of heart. The film consists of four short stories. They're told with the biggest amount of voiceover I've ever encountered in a movie and I think this might be one of the reasons why the movie had a sedative effect on me as soon as the initial jaw-dropping effect had worn off. All that reading aloud was as soothing as any goodnight story and I caught myself having stopped paying attention, dangerously close to falling asleep. Time after time I had to rewind and go back to where I had dropped the ball in order to make sure I'd watched the entire movie. For being a movie that includes a lot of action, violence, bad deeds, drama, sex and revenge it was strangely boring.

It's hard to put a fair grade after such an experience.

Let me put it this way: I would happily recommend Sin City to anyone who has an interest above the average for comics or films. It feels like a "must-see", one in a kind. But on the other hand, I can't hide that I didn't connect with it. Not even with Mickey Rourke.

My rating: 4/5
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #11015 on: January 30, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »

But Mickey Rourke wasn't the only remarkable thing about Rumble Fish. I also remember it for being very stylish, all shot in black and white, apart from a couple of fishes which were displayed in glowing colors. For years Rumble Fish was my favorite movie thanks to the style and Rourke's bittersweetness. To be honest I don't remember much else of it anymore, but when I did my top 100 list I included it, just for old friendship and in honor of the 16 year old me.

Lobby - I saw this for the first time about a year ago with Max, my (then) 12-year old.  Suffice it to say that I was quite blown away by the whole movie, the sheer bravado and don't-give-a-damn attitude behind the composition of each shot, the brilliantly eccentric Stewart Copeland score and the rather stellar cast.  (For the record, Max loved it as well.)

Don't be afraid to revisit this one - I bet it holds up better than a lot of old boyfriends (or girlfriends) would after 29 years.   ;)
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11016 on: January 30, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »
I think I had seen The Wrestler before I went back and saw Diner and the young, gorgeous Mickey Rourke. Quite the shock.

@sdb, don't forget Hanna for the different approach to the teen girl.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #11017 on: January 30, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »
I think I had seen The Wrestler before I went back and saw Diner and the young, gorgeous Mickey Rourke. Quite the shock.

Whenever I think of him in Diner or Body Heat it saddens me that he never had the career he could have. 

But then I think of how blessed we are that Steve Guttenberg did.
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

Harpo Speaks

• Cook'd and Bomb'd Comedy Chat Podcast
« Reply #11018 on: January 30, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »
As did I.

Me too. Right about that shot though pixote, I think I may have even gone to put an FYC up in the relevant thread, then forgot all about it.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #11019 on: January 30, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »
All this discussion of Fish Tank reminds me that there were three films (qualifying for the 2011 filmspots) that centered around a teenage girl (ages 14-16) as main character - including Margaret and Trust - all dealing with very different issues and coming from very different backgrounds/settings.  (Each of these had one appearance in my filmspots nominations.) ... Curiously, though, only Fish Tank was written/directed by a woman (Andrea Arnold).

I think Jane Eyre is supposed to be around 16 as well.