love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2532711 times)

RazorRamon

Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #13710 on: June 22, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »
RazorRamon, do you listen to Double Feature Podcast? Because last week they talked about Switchblade Sisters (along with Sucker Punch).

I don't, but I'll try it out. Thanks.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13711 on: June 23, 2012, 12:18:40 AM »
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012)

Not being overly familiar with the source material, one of the questions I had going into Buffy Lincoln, as I prefer to call it, was why Lincoln? What about Lincoln would figure in beside just the silly idea of a famous historical figure also killing vampires. Aside from being believable swinging an axe, I was pleasantly surprised at how the author and screenwriter was able to tie together vampires as a monster with slaveholders. Moreso than White Dog (review forthcoming), I felt this film gave me things to consider about the way even the slaveholders were slaves to their racist tradition much as the vampires are slaves to their monstrous curse, and when the Union goes to war, in part to end slavery as an institution, the vampires, like the slaveholders, see it as a direct threat to their way of life, immoral as it may be.

But if there are enough hints of intellectual intrigue to engage, I shouldn't cover up for the fact that this is a pretty silly film that makes it's first priority to entertain. Timur Bekmambetov brings his penchant for hyper-stylized action to the front. There's a strong artificial sheen to much of the film that I imagine will be tough for some, this isn't the type of computer graphics that look real (there's a certain scene with horses that is truly fake looking) but once you get comfortable that the film is making no effort at realism, it kind of works. The heavy use of slow motion is also likely to pet some peeves but again, Bekmambetov has enough skill in crafting action that it has an elegance to it. And while some may groan at Tim Burton's involvement here, the gothic look about much of this being straight from his style category, it kind of made me think it is the kind of film Burton should be making.

The cast is the final component that largely makes the film work. Relative newcomer Benjamin Walker takes on the title role beside Mary Elizabeth Winstead playing Mary Todd. They are the relative weak points, not helped by some pretty poor makeup that ages them up for a significant chunk in the second half. But Anthony Mackie as Abe's childhood friend, Dominic Cooper as his mentor in the ways of vampire hunting, and Rufus Sewell as Adam, the original vampire all bring quality to their parts. Jimmi Simpson in the other main supporting role works well within a script that does great things to establish his character to set up certain things late in the film. I'm not usually one to notice finesse details, but this film had a lot of small things that really stood out in hindsight showing the great care that went into the design. I'm not promising the world with this film, but even with the flaws it does have, it is far better than it has any business being, and in a year when a number of the big blockbusters have already disappointed me (The Avengers, Prometheus), this stands out as superior as an end result.

4/5

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #13712 on: June 23, 2012, 12:35:21 AM »

Uriui hyanggi 6/10
KimJong Il count: 4
Mostly this is a mediocre romantic comedy, trading on the usual misunderstandings and coincidences. There's nothing particularly bad about it, the acting seems decent and it flows reasonably well, but there's nothing that makes it stand out. Well, except for the fact that it's aggressively and obviously North Korean. Oh, and the fact that I find it incredibly hard to believe this film is, in fact, from 2003. The colours and camera work have that 70s Soviet feel, washed out and utilitarian, and the examples of "western" clothing are hilarious. Not as hilarious as the Korean fashions, though, where the picture above is considered an award winning dress. At times I was a bit surprised by the, relatively, relaxed attitudes in the film, mixing traditional Korean entertainment and styles with mild westernization. The plot itself is a great example of this, where Korean traditions play a central role, but the beats and progressions could come from a myriad of Hollywood romances. Of course, by the end it all makes sense, as the final 20 minutes take on an increasingly aggressive and belligerent nationalistic tone, striking a blow for the importance of nationalism and tradition while attacking the corrupting western influence trying to besmirch the proud national character.

Without context, this would be a boring waste of time, but in the context of North Korea's place in the world it's a fascinating look at a closed society through an obviously biased piece of pop culture.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #13713 on: June 23, 2012, 12:46:42 AM »
That's awesome PA, I've been curious about North Korean cinema.  Anything in particular make you choose that specific film?

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #13714 on: June 23, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »
Not really, it's not like there's a lot to choose from. My first inclination was Urban girl comes to get married but it doesn't have an imdb entry and I wasn't in the mood to add it. Then I found this one and it seemed somewhat interesting and this screenshot sold me. It's not as funny in context:

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13715 on: June 23, 2012, 01:19:08 AM »
Bondo, I'm a Bekmambetov apologist because he's incredibly creative and great with effects. However, I decided against seeing this movie after watching two clips (in the mansion and on the train) where the vampires were disappearing into mist and reappearing, eliminating any feeling of combat. Lincoln is just swishing at the air, hoping the vampires appear in his swing. Did the clips misrepresent the action choreography and the vampire abilities?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #13716 on: June 23, 2012, 04:31:24 AM »

Syndromes and a Century (rewatch) - I was going to say it's been too long since I first watched this film.  But spacing out the viewings makes the surprises that much more enjoyable, when you've forgotten they're coming.  And Syndromes is a movie filled with endless surprises.  You get the feeling that Weerasethakul enjoyed the hell out of making it.  You sense his delight in every decision, every happy accident.  And there's as much delight in absorbing it.  Delights in individual moments, like the dentist singing to his monk patient, or the bizarre interview questions, or an actor "realizing" his mike is still on long after he's left the frame, or smoke swirling into and out of and around that black hole/eclipse vent thing.  Delight in the lush greenery of the first half and the eerily sterile second half.  Delight in the delight the characters take in each other.  Delight in examining the echoes between the two halves of the film, some of them so subtle or tenuous that they may be unintentional.  Delight in asking "Why?"... and further delight in letting go of "Why?" and giving in to the joyous creativity and originality of the work.  So rich and dense without ever beating you over the head with it.  Nothing is ponderous or aching to be profound.

I don't want to analyze.  I do, but that's in my head, that's for me.  I don't know if Joe has a mission statement for this film.  I'd like to think he does but wants you to believe he doesn't.  Or vice versa.  Certainly there are meanings to be gained... the delicate harmony between man and nature, past and present is a recurring theme in his work.  You can do whatever you want with this movie, that's for you.  That's what makes it so gorgeously wonderful, so playfully slippery.  Such a refreshing tonic.  Rating: Masterpiece

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13717 on: June 23, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »
Bondo, I'm a Bekmambetov apologist because he's incredibly creative and great with effects. However, I decided against seeing this movie after watching two clips (in the mansion and on the train) where the vampires were disappearing into mist and reappearing, eliminating any feeling of combat. Lincoln is just swishing at the air, hoping the vampires appear in his swing. Did the clips misrepresent the action choreography and the vampire abilities?

Well, the vampires are becoming invisible, not dematerializing, and that particular tool isn't used that heavily (or at least it is used incompetently by the vampires) in the group fight scenes. It's used more interestingly in smaller scale battles. I expect I'll have to see Wanted at some point. This is probably a less impressive film both in ideas and action than Nightwatch/Daywatch but much as I gave The Three Musketeers a 4/5, I appreciated the sense of fun and scale here.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #13718 on: June 23, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »
Faces

There is a nod towards Bergman early on in this film, that is apt. Quite a task to actually try to emulate Bergman with a film. Faces feels like a companion piece to Scenes From A Marriage; except whilst one is so very much a product of Swedish culture, the other is embedded in the post-war boom time American businessman zeitgeist. Brilliant to see a director express, so vividly, themes that speak to the "Masters of the Universe" brashness and vivacity of '60s America; but also to the fear of loss. Consumerism replacing masculinity. A sharp suit, but a dulled sense of physicality. Cigarettes and alcohol.

The artistic framing device of a succession of faces, is phenomenal. I cannot fathom what the director is doing. It feels like it is in the lighting. A 4:3 frame around a face can't be the only technique on offer. Indeed, the faces seem to be optically stretched; you know the face-lifting of Brazil. In this manufactured world, of leather and vinyl and cadillacs, that is another appropriate touchstone. Finally, the clawing to be a man that Cassavettes shows is something Fight Club wants to examine in its own '90s IKEA-world.

It is striking to watch a film dedicated to a generation, even beyond my own. These are older people; Chairman of the Board archetypes. Self-made people; tearing at their own architecture. Snarling and scratching at life. It is Bergman-raw; very American (god bless it), totally real. People laugh, long and loud, and you end up laughing along with them. People danced and you want to get up and join in. People hug or kiss and you want to reach out to touch somebody while they do it. Very connective.

Finally, Gena Rowlands; appears as a catalytic character to the side of the action. She is a dirty angel, a beautiful train wreck. Cassavettes worships her with his camera, but borrows for the cracks and fissures. Gena stares back into the camera, and melts it with her laser vision.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #13719 on: June 23, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
Great writeup verb.  I was just now making a list of "honorable mentions" for my top 100 and Faces is on it.  Another viewing or two might move it up to the main list.  Very apt Bergman comparisons.

love