Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2532254 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #17550 on: February 23, 2013, 09:49:40 AM »
I have yet to see Seven Psychopaths but I am very eager. I consider In Bruges the best movie to come out this millennium.

I think you are probably correct...

Last night I had this girl over that I met a couple weeks ago. It's her first time over and she wanted to watch a movie. I told her to pick out any film she wanted. Little did she know, this was a test (a test she pretty much couldn't fail since I like most of the movies I own). But she passed with flying colors. Without ever even hearing of it, she chose The Frighteners. Yeah, she definitely passed. Even got brownie points for saying she liked it.

You are better than me, I had a similar situation a few years ago except she asked me to pick a scary/horror movie to watch (or maybe I gave her a few choices) so we ended up watching Antichrist.  For better or worst, that one didn't work out

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #17551 on: February 23, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »
You guys do realize that There Will Be Blood did, in fact, release in this millennium, right?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #17552 on: February 23, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »
You guys do realize that There Will Be Blood did, in fact, release in this millennium, right?

I can't deny its greatness (with or without a dream sequence) but I have not rewatched it nearly the same.  In Bruges tends to be a film as soon as I find a friend that has never heard of it, I want to watch it again to show them
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Timbzy

« Reply #17553 on: February 23, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »
There Will Be Boredom... Tree of Life is a thousand times better than that crap.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #17554 on: February 23, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »
Both TWBB and In Bruges are top 100 films. Neither Seven Psychopaths nor The Master is.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #17555 on: February 23, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »
Both TWBB and In Bruges are top 100 films. Neither Seven Psychopaths nor The Master is.

2 out of 4 ain't bad. The Master makes a strong case. I would put ahead of Bruges as well.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #17556 on: February 23, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »
It was all about the dresses

“It wasn’t easy to be a woman back in those days.”

My daughter summarized Anna Karenina as we walked from the theatre towards the restaurant where we’d round up our mother-daughter night.

I nodded in agreement. A woman who had a love affair outside of her marriage was mercilessly expelled from the community. If a man did the same thing, no one as much as raised their eyebrows. A man got to cater to his natural needs, right? We heard the message about the double standard loud and clear – a double standard that sadly enough prevails in many parts of the world.

“I couldn’t really connect to it though”, my daughter continued.

I could see where she was coming from. The movie is deliberately made in a theatrical style rather than a realistic. It even uses some of the typical manners from stage plays, as letting the entire cast freeze all of a sudden before the scene is switching right in front of you, just like it would in a theatre. While it looks stylish, it also brings an additional layer, like a veil that comes between the viewer and the events and people on the screen. While all those stage switches are technically brilliant and looks gorgeous, they also remind you that the people you see aren’t real; they are just actors performing a screenplay. You can admire them, but you don’t easily connect to them.

“Yeah”, I said. “But let’s talk about the dresses!”

Talking about the dresses
Normally I don’t take much notice about what clothes people wear in movies. I have very little interest in fashion. My clothes mostly serve to provide me warmth and protection; they’re not artistic expressions of my soul. But Anna Karenina is an exception. My friend Ryan McNeil over at The Matinee podcast always asks his guests about one thing that they take from the movie. And in this case there would be no hesitation in my answer. I would keep the dresses. There weren’t just a handful of them, there were hundreds. One for every mood, once for every new scene. And each one a piece of art.

I don’t normally spend a lot of time thinking about which screenshot to use for my writing about a certain movie. I’ll just grab whatever random picture that comes up at a search, as long as it isn’t completely misrepresentative to the film. But in the case of Anna Karenina it was the opposite. Words seemed irrelevant to make it justice, when it was all about the pictures. I didn’t want to choose one dress, I wanted to show the entire wardrobe!

Will you like or dislike Anna Karenina? In the end I think it depends on what the dresses do for you. Can a feast for the eye serve you as a satisfying meal? Or does it leave you with an empty stomach, craving for something you can relate to?

I know where I stand: I loved it. I can’t resist a movie as gorgeous as this one.

Oh, and my favourite dress was the dark red one, in case you wonder.

Anna Karenina (Joe Wright, UK 2012) My rating: 4/5
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:07:28 AM by Lobby »
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

keefey45

« Reply #17557 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »

Last night I had this girl over that I met a couple weeks ago.

Also, I watched Clue after she left.

Hahahahahaha! ;D

You are better than me, I had a similar situation a few years ago except she asked me to pick a scary/horror movie to watch (or maybe I gave her a few choices) so we ended up watching Antichrist.  For better or worst, that one didn't work out

Actually, the first thing that happened was she picked up Audition and said, "I like martial arts movies". Could have been bad.

And I feel the same way about In Bruges. Might be my favorite movie to show friends who haven't seen it yet. Way better than There Will Be Blood, which I'd be okay with never seeing again.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #17558 on: February 23, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
Wow, Audition and Antichrist.  Possibly the two worst date movies ever. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #17559 on: February 23, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
Yeah, they really set the mood.

I told her to pick out any film she wanted. Little did she know, this was a test (a test she pretty much couldn't fail since I like most of the movies I own). But she passed with flying colors. Without ever even hearing of it, she chose The Frighteners. Yeah, she definitely passed. Even got brownie points for saying she liked it.

keefey, I would have so failed that test! Don't you have any good comedies?  :)

...just saw The Frighteners trailer. Looks like a comedy. :D