love

Author Topic: Pixar Appreciation Thread  (Read 59418 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Pixar Appreciation Thread
« Reply #420 on: September 22, 2022, 11:27:09 PM »
I've been lukewarm on recent Pixar films, with only Soul being one of their best and Luca, one of their worst. However this year's Turning Red and Lightyear both look top shelf. The new trailer for Lightyear is giving me all the old tingles. I wouldn't be surprised if that one gets a theatrical run.

Did you see Turning Red?  If so, do you have a review available?

Did you see Lightyear?  I haven't seen it yet and I need someone to give me that extra push to watch it, if it's worth it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #421 on: September 22, 2022, 11:38:50 PM »
Initial Thoughts on Turning Red, and over about 6 rewatches the good far outweighs some nit-picky plotting.

Lightyear, where I am far more positive than the majority. I've seen it 3 times and it's easily enjoyable, but not deep. They can't all be Soul.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2022, 07:46:53 AM »
I dig Lightyear. I think it mainly gets weighed down by the Toy Story baggage but if you don't care about that you're in for a decent adventure.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #423 on: September 24, 2022, 03:54:16 PM »
On these two recommendations, I'll give Lightyear a try.

Turning Red--A number of people do mention that the central metaphor is about menstruation.  Although all of the victims of this curse are female, and it is called "the curse" a number of times, I disagree.  There are women who would be in menopause who make this change.  And it has more to do with these women's emotion, especially anger.  Because women especially need to control their emotions, I think the curse occurs when they have uncontrolled emotion, whether on purpose or by accident.  This would frequently begin happening in adolescence.   This just makes more sense to me, especially because menarche was specifically mentioned and rejected as an explanation.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky