Author Topic: Movie Buzz  (Read 297593 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Movie Buzz
« Reply #3590 on: April 26, 2021, 08:01:51 AM »
Nice job with the Adapted Screenplay and Live Action Short picks. I won with Mank in Cinematography and McDormand in Actress, both at +500. Couldn’t pull the trigger on either of the upsets by The Father, even though neither was super shocking. Upset of the night was definitely Best Song (+2500).

pixote

Yeah, that Best Song hit me out of nowhere. The odds on it were so high, I completely discounted it. Strangely, in the DraftKings free Oscar pool, 32% of people had that as their pick.

Ended up getting a little McDormand action pre-show at +325, but didn't go with Mank, that was a good prediction as well. I figured Mank would come away with just the first award. Was not entirely expecting Nomadland to win there, and had a slight suspicion about Mank, but avoided that one mostly because I remembered a lot of people specifically mentioning its cinematography being a negative of the film because of it being digitally shot but harkening back to old Hollywood. That's what I get for trusting in the analysis of Film Twitter.

Also didn't have the stones to lock in Hopkins, though that's the person I was rooting for. Mentioned in chat, I think, but felt like even knowing he had the BAFTA, it was the typical showy performance they reward, being about a topic that would appeal to the typical Oscar voter, he's both old and white, a Legendary Actor, and likely the last chance to get one for him, the +700 still felt like it would have been throwing money away because of everything a Chadwick win would represent. Also figured voters would think that way too. Wonder if the reason they did acting awards so quickly at the end after BP is because the Academy suspected the results and didn't want to deal with the immediate shit storm of two white people who already have won before beating out both Davis and Chadwick.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3591 on: April 28, 2021, 07:22:41 PM »
Guillermo del Toro has filmed a remake of the Noir classic Nightmare Alley starring Bradley Cooper, Rooney Mara, Toni Collette, Cate Blanchett, David Strathairn, Willem Dafoe, Ron Pearlman, Mary Steenburgen and Richard Jenkins.

I know one of our regulars is excited by none of this.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3592 on: April 28, 2021, 08:38:32 PM »
Not me. The original is fantastic already and I don’t like del Toto.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #3593 on: May 04, 2021, 12:08:20 PM »
FWIW, I just got my first in-person press screening invite, which is a great sign of going back to the theaters in the near future. I won't be able to attend, as it's the day before my two week window post-2nd dose.

For those curious, it is for Spiral.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3594 on: May 05, 2021, 10:08:41 PM »
The song "96,000" from In the Heights is the one number as good as the best of Hamilton. If is isn't nominated for Best Scene something has gone seriously wrong. (It's also a rare case where you can argue that it belongs in both Comedic and Dramatic.) The marketing is taking full advantage, but they risk creating disappointment two ways. 1) For people unfamiliar with the musical, nothing is as strong as that number. 2) For fans, expectations for cinematic version of that number are possibly too high to meet.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #3595 on: May 24, 2021, 01:01:56 AM »
Read THIS RT ARTICLE ON IN THE HEIGHTS, the film with the trailer that just gets my hyped about life. And while the trailer gets me pumped, my more cynical side is worried that there won't be any meat to the feel-good spectacle. I don't know what to think. Crazy Rich Asians was very boring to me, but Chu obviously shows some visual panache in that romcom, which is to say it's probably in good hands. But is it empty-headed? I've never seen the production; not a big theater person, to be honest. So I don't know what it's really all about. But I wish I didn't always feel so skeptical about things!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3596 on: May 24, 2021, 06:02:53 AM »
Meat is bad for the environment.  ;D

My listen through of the cast recording didn’t really grab me but the trailer does look fantastic. I’ll go opening weekend (even though I could watch at home).

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3597 on: May 24, 2021, 08:49:38 AM »

My listen through of the cast recording didn’t really grab me but the trailer does look fantastic. I’ll go opening weekend (even though I could watch at home).

More likely all factory farming is bad

It looks like something I should have little interest in but the trailer does look good.  It did get me interested to watch Crazy Rich Asians for a second time which I might comment on if I can find my original thoughts
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:39:55 AM by jdc »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3598 on: May 24, 2021, 03:09:06 PM »
It’s a good stage show, but only one song is at the level of Hamilton.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #3599 on: May 24, 2021, 10:53:42 PM »

More likely all factory farming is bad

It looks like something I should have little interest in but the trailer does look good.  It did get me interested to watch Crazy Rich Asians for a second time which I might comment on if I can find my original thoughts

Agriculture is bad for the environment, but we're probably past the point of no return with that one.

Am I the only one that's just been bombarded with advertising for this film? I saw the trailer like a hundred times before the pandemic and my good sense (I'd like to think) kept me from the theater, and I've seen it before just about every film I've seen since I reached the point of full vaccination (like 10-20?). And it looks soooo good every time.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love