Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227878 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #2630 on: August 07, 2019, 04:31:45 AM »
I'd go with recliners, personally.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2631 on: August 07, 2019, 07:07:56 PM »
When I go see Millennium Actress next week there is, as of now, one theater where two seats are sold, both singles, and another that has 0 seats sold. The one with seats sold already is slightly closer, but there's an appeal of possibly having the whole theater to myself for King Kon. That theater has recliners, as well, but is a mall theater that has elevated seats. Which one should I go with???

I hope for the theaters sake they sell more tickets, since they're cool enough to play Kon like that.

It's a Fathom thing, so I'm not sure what kind of agreement they have, but it's good seeing them at the AMCs and Regal. At this point they're the most reliable way to see anime on the big screen, I think, they are the ones who did Mirai last year too, and did Perfect Blue somewhere around this time of year as well, I think. Not much this year, or at least not ones I've been as interested in, but will for sure seek out any Kon they show.

I'd go with recliners, personally.

That's kind of where I'm leaning, plus the less crowded theater and slightly better screen, despite the split level stuff. Typically I like to avoid recliners because they lock you in to a seat, but I figure there's flexibility if I pick  bad one, since I'm not as screen familiar here. I feel like they usually bring out the worst people, since you get them in advance it's more likely you use a phone to do that, will not care about running late since your seat is there regardless, and then may be more open to using that phone during the film. But, again, with a special event I feel like you're getting a different crowd.

It is Kon, subtitled, and more 'dialed in' greatness than Perfect Blue, which did have a pretty good turnout at this place.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #2632 on: August 28, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »
A cinema here is doing a Borzage retrospective next month with the 20 films listed below.

I'm a Borzage virgin, but I do have access to most (if not all) of them on DVD/Blu via my library. So my question is: Which are the ones that benefit most from the big screen? I may be able to attend three or four screenings, so "all" is not an option.

The cinema is showing 35mm prints unless noted otherwise. Print origin is given for some, but not all. Also, a number of screenings are with German subs, which is a bit of a turn-off.

With German subs:
Man’s Castle (1933)
Desire (1936)
History Is Made at Night (1937) UCLA Preservation Print
The Mortal Storm (1940) UCLA Restoration
Moonrise (1948) UCLA Preservation Print

No subs:
Until They Get Me (1917) Library of Congress Preservation Print
Humoresque (1920) UCLA Preservation Print
Secrets (1924) DCP 2017
7th Heaven (1927) MoMA Restoration
Street Angel (1928) MoMA Restoration
The River (1929) 16mm
Lucky Star (1929)
Liliom USA (1930) UCLA Preservation Print
A Farewell to Arms (1932) UCLA Restoration
Little Man, What Now? (1934)
Three Comrades (1938)
Mannequin (1938)
Strange Cargo (1940)
The Vanishing Virginian (1942)
I’ve Always Loved You (1946) UCLA Restoration

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2633 on: August 28, 2019, 01:17:04 PM »
I’m curious to know how Mortal Storm plays to a German audience. Borzage has a way of taking a story that’s specific to a country and playing it Hollywood so it becomes a cautionary fable and not beholden to the time and place it’s based in.

Also Three Comrades, which does the same.
And 7th Heaven would be beautiful and absorbing on the big screen.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2634 on: August 28, 2019, 01:24:26 PM »
Hopefully all these restorations mean some great Borzage Blu Rays in the near future.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2635 on: August 28, 2019, 05:24:56 PM »
I'm so jelly. Of the ones I've seen, about half of those, I'd say the following would be the ones I'd most like to see on the big screen:

The Mortal Storm
Moonrise
Lucky Star (the ending of this one is a stunner on the small screen, I can't imagine how good it'd be in a theater)
Liliom (a few great sets in this one)
I've Always Loved You (not one of his best, but Borzage in color is something to behold, and there are a few good sequences)

Three Comrades isn't as visually exciting as some of his other stuff, but it's my fave of his
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2636 on: August 29, 2019, 04:00:10 PM »
Peanutbutter Falcon
Good Boys
Blinded by the Light
Where’d You Go, Bernadette?
Hey, nice marmot!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2637 on: August 29, 2019, 07:18:07 PM »
Probs Shia, though I've only seen Good Boys, which isn't great, but I liked because it plays to FLY. Brucie is very NJ!NJ!NJ!, but I don't like his music all that much. This Richie Links apparently stinks.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #2638 on: August 30, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »
@1SO & Junior: Thanks for the recommendations.

Mortal Storm... Borzage has a way of taking a story that’s specific to a country and playing it Hollywood...
Not something that appeals to me, but looking through the Borzage thread, everyone seems to think that it's great. So that one is pretty much a lock. It's also the one that kicks off the retrospective.

I've Always Loved You (not one of his best, but Borzage in color is something to behold...
I wish I new if the restoration they are showing is newer than what the Blu from a few years ago was based on.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2639 on: August 30, 2019, 09:14:09 PM »
I saw a DVD of I've Always Loved You (I think) and it was still quite pretty.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love