Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227639 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #420 on: August 13, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
Hmm, a couple options for tonight:

Patton (MDC)
Last Tango In Paris (Extreme Marathon)
Welfare (Directors)
Air Doll (Directors)
The Vintner's Luck (Directors)
I Killed My Mother (2011)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #421 on: August 13, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Last Picture Show
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #422 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »
Last Picture Show

As for my list, I decided to watch Love Exposure, though I'm still up for recommendations about what to watch next this weekend.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #423 on: August 13, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
As for my list, I decided to watch Love Exposure, though I'm still up for recommendations about what to watch next this weekend.

PATTON.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #424 on: August 14, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »
Hello, friends. FLY has a question that may belong here, but it may not. This is future speculation for whenever the next Criterion 50% off sale occurs.

With our collective knowledge of FLY's tastes, would it be advisable for him to blind buy Black Moon?

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #425 on: August 16, 2011, 01:00:18 PM »
I returned my five borrowed movies to the library. Every single one was too scratched and damaged to be watchable. :(

I''ll give the library free-to-watch service one more shot though and picked up five new filmes. If I get the same result this week, I'm basically done with it. Obviously my DVD recorder doesn't go well along with cracked records.

Anyway: for this week I have the following options:

- Persepolis
- Diving Bell and the Butterfly
- Paranoid Park
- Nausicaä
- Cyrus

Assuming that the discs aren't broken this time, which one has your strongest recommendations?
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #426 on: August 16, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
- Diving Bell and the Butterfly

My recommendation. (Just make sure to have some tissue handy...)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #427 on: August 16, 2011, 01:03:51 PM »
Lobby after our discussion about Certified Copy I was going to recommend Cyrus to you. I always feel presumptuous quoting my own reviews but this might explain why I think you might like it.

I fell very hard for this. It was really UGLY and RAW. I love how Reilly and Keener in the early shots are terrifically unattractive, a very rare thing in a Hollywood film. Not so rare when you are mid-40s and you look in the mirror when you wake up. You look like something out of the jungle. This may have struck me quite so hard because it speaks to that experience of life never going how you want it. You might meet the perfect woman but a swamp creature comes attached. Tomei, Reilly, Keener and the guy who plays the new husband are terrific as 40-ish types and Reilly’s needy relationship to his ex mirrors Jonah Hill’s limpet-like attachment to the gorgeous Tomei. She is one of those incredibly underrated and totally HOT actresses, especially because her imperfections are always on show.

& Diving Bell & Paranoid Park are terrific too.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #428 on: August 16, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
@VerbAls: Nonsense. You shouldn't feel presumptuous. I really appreciate when people make the effort to look up their reviews and point me to them. It's thoughtful and kind.

I'm glad that I seem to have grabbed a great bunch of movies!

I just hope they'll be watchable. Last time it was so frustrating. I saw a few minutes, but never more than 15 before it took stop. It's like feeling the smell of a tasty meal when you're hungry, you even get the plate on your table and then someone just sais "haha, april fool!" and runs away with it, leaving me unsatisfied and frustrated.

Well well. One more go!
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #429 on: August 16, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
Nausicaa!

love