Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227673 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #430 on: August 16, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
Hopefully Paranoid Park works, that's FLY's favorite film of the ones he has seen.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #431 on: August 16, 2011, 02:23:20 PM »
- Diving Bell and the Butterfly

My recommendation. (Just make sure to have some tissue handy...)

This one. I'm sad I missed it in theaters.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #432 on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »
- Persepolis
- Paranoid Park
- Nausicaä
- Cyrus

Haven't seen Cyrus, but the others fall in roughly the same "not great, but very good" range for me.  I guess I'd go with Persepolis, but they're all worthwhile.

Totoro

« Reply #433 on: August 17, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
I returned my five borrowed movies to the library. Every single one was too scratched and damaged to be watchable. :(

I''ll give the library free-to-watch service one more shot though and picked up five new filmes. If I get the same result this week, I'm basically done with it. Obviously my DVD recorder doesn't go well along with cracked records.

Anyway: for this week I have the following options:

- Persepolis
- Paranoid Park
- Nausicaä
- Cyrus

Assuming that the discs aren't broken this time, which one has your strongest recommendations?

I've seen all of these. My personal favorite is Nausicaa, but I think you'd really like Persepolis and The Diving Bell & the Butterfly. Forget Cyrus. Paranoid Park is alright.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #434 on: August 18, 2011, 12:35:25 PM »
Is that Steve McQueen movie Bullit good? It's playing with Fright Night (the new one, I assume) at the drive-in near me tomorrow night. Always feel like I should support these slightly older films when they get screenings and what not.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #435 on: August 18, 2011, 12:54:22 PM »
Is that Steve McQueen movie Bullit good? It's playing with Fright Night (the new one, I assume) at the drive-in near me tomorrow night. Always feel like I should support these slightly older films when they get screenings and what not.

Yep, it's pretty good.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #436 on: August 18, 2011, 01:05:04 PM »
Would it benefit from the drive-in experience, do you think? I'm not sure if it's just a DVD they are running or if they have an actual print though.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #437 on: August 18, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »
Would it benefit from the drive-in experience, do you think?

Considering that the most celebrated part of the film is the car chase, that sounds like an ideal viewing experience.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #438 on: August 18, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »
I returned my five borrowed movies to the library. Every single one was too scratched and damaged to be watchable. :(

I''ll give the library free-to-watch service one more shot though and picked up five new filmes. If I get the same result this week, I'm basically done with it. Obviously my DVD recorder doesn't go well along with cracked records.

Anyway: for this week I have the following options:

- Persepolis
- Paranoid Park
- Nausicaä
- Cyrus

Assuming that the discs aren't broken this time, which one has your strongest recommendations?

Two years ago, all of those films except one (guess which one?) was on my Top 100.  They are all excellent films, but the only one that remained in my top 100 is Nausicaa.  They all have my high recommendation, though, except Cyrus, which I haven't seen.

That's a shame about the library discs.  I have that problem rarely with the discs I borrow from my library, and that mostly with children's DVDs.  I wish people would take better care of stuff that isn't their own.  I hope you told your library if a disc was unwatchable.

On the other hand, our library system is especially awesome.  We have the highest circulation in the U.S. after the NY Public Library.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #439 on: August 18, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »

Yep, it's pretty good.

Yup, good movie.  One of the first of the great cop movies of the late-60s/early 70s.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

love