Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227813 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »
On the other hand, our library system is especially awesome.  We have the highest circulation in the U.S. after the NY Public Library.

Still no Blu-Rays though.  They've also been awfully slow picking up Criterions lately, especially when it's a reissue of something previously released (e.g. Something Wild).  I know it's hard to justify spending taxpayer money on movies they already have available, but they just used to be such a solid source for Criterions.

This is nitpicking, however.  Multnomah County library system is awesome, and I rarely have a problem with unplayable discs.  And if you complain about it, they put you first in line for the next available copy.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2011, 03:17:07 PM »
I hope you told your library if a disc was unwatchable.

I did and they thanked me warmly for doing it. Unfortunately very few people do the same, from what they told me, and that's why you can end up with five unwatchable movies like I did. I think they could do more to encourage people to give them notice about worn out discs. There's no information about what you should do when it doesn't work, no indication on who you should turn to etc.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Totoro

« Reply #442 on: August 21, 2011, 03:36:27 AM »
Attack the Block or The Future?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #443 on: August 21, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
FLY would rather see THE FUTURE.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #444 on: August 21, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #445 on: August 22, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
Hopefully Paranoid Park works, that's FLY's favorite film of the ones he has seen.

Just watched it. Such a great movie! There's so much to love about it. The photo, the editing, the young, natural actors, the music and the sensitive way the story is told, dealing without big emotions using small measures.

The only thing that made me sad was that I couldn't convince my 17 year old to stay through the slow beginning with the skateboarding to a strange French voice. She got too impatient and was put off by it. :(

Now to find out how to express what I feel about it with a few more details....

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #446 on: August 22, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »
The only thing that made me sad was that I couldn't convince my 17 year old to stay through the slow beginning with the skateboarding

I must be a 17-year-old at heart...

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2011, 08:16:22 AM »
Hopefully Paranoid Park works, that's FLY's favorite film of the ones he has seen.

Just watched it. Such a great movie! There's so much to love about it. The photo, the editing, the young, natural actors, the music and the sensitive way the story is told, dealing without big emotions using small measures.

Excellent! Much like Elephant, it's a film I appreciate more and more on each new viewing. The narrative works incredibly well, but the display of craft is on a completely different level. Right now I'm just hoping that GVS's next film isn't bad. The new trailer makes me think it can go either way, but the huge lapse in release time - it was supposed to be out January 2011, but is now set for January 2012 - coupled with the fact that the studio is clearly holding it for after Oscar eligibility seems to imply that they have little confidence in it being a quality experience, especially since the story seems to be tailor made for Oscar votes. Seems even more odd considering this is his followup to Milk, which should have won Best Picture that year. Still, TeaMia stars, which is always good. Go GVS!

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #448 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
I had to return Nausicaä änd Persepolis before I got around to see them. But I'll get back to them, that's for sure. 3/5 library movies watched is still decent.
Now I've picked up a new bunch, a pretty wild mix I'd say:

Vertigo
The Squid and the Whale
Barton Fink
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Whisky Galore

The last one, Whisky Galore, is a revisit. I remember it as lovely, but it's been 25 years since I watched it, so I might be wrong. The others are first-time views. What would you pick first?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #449 on: August 29, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »
Vertigo, no contest. 

love