Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227808 times)

AAAutin

• Elite Member
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #560 on: September 30, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »
Never was much of a von Trier aficionado; PINA.

Second one is a bit trickier, as I'm intrigued by both. THE ARTIST seems to be universally adored (it got huge buzz at Cannes, as well), but SHAME seems more my speed. Default to Fassbender; SHAME. 

Drew_Hunt

• Movies are cool
    • Twitter
« Reply #561 on: September 30, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »
I've seen The Artist and it's not something you want to miss.
"Not beautiful photography, not beautiful pictures, but rather necessary pictures, necessary photography." -- Robert Bresson

Follow me on twitter!

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #562 on: September 30, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
Watch the one with Fassbender's dong.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #563 on: September 30, 2011, 06:44:10 PM »
So the line-up for the 20th Philadelphia Film Fest has been announced.  Of course there are unfortunate scheduling conflicts:

Lars von Trier's Melancholia overlaps Wim Wenders' Pina  Pina's in 3D but it also doesn't seem like something i'd be all that into.

Michel Hazanavicius' The Artist is in the same timeslot as Steve McQueen's second film Shame - love Hunger but heard negative things about the new one while Telluride seemed to love The Artist.

How is the ticket buying process? How much should FLY budget if he can only go on Friday-Sundays?

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #564 on: October 03, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »
So the line-up for the 20th Philadelphia Film Fest has been announced.  Of course there are unfortunate scheduling conflicts:

Lars von Trier's Melancholia overlaps Wim Wenders' Pina  Pina's in 3D but it also doesn't seem like something i'd be all that into.

Michel Hazanavicius' The Artist is in the same timeslot as Steve McQueen's second film Shame - love Hunger but heard negative things about the new one while Telluride seemed to love The Artist.

How is the ticket buying process? How much should FLY budget if he can only go on Friday-Sundays?

you can buy in advance on the website starting at noon today or at the venue - don't know what the price per ticket is yet.looks like they have 6-packs and 20-packs available this year which may save you some cash over individual film purchases.  there are 2 weekends during the fest so you could fit in a bunch of flicks if you so choose.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #565 on: October 03, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
Thanks, iKeith!!

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #566 on: October 03, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
or
Marshall's Dog Soldiers

Totoro

« Reply #567 on: October 03, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
Melancholia > Pina. Really difficult one though because I want to see both equally as much.

Shame > The Artist. Easily. I've heard The Artist is fun middlebrow stuff, which is perfectly fine, but Shame will give you something to talk and think about which is almost always better.

Totoro

« Reply #568 on: October 03, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
or
Marshall's Dog Soldiers

Dog Soldiers. Haven't seen either, but I've heard great things about Dog Soldiers and I've heard mixed things about Prince of Darkness.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #569 on: October 03, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
Dog Soldiers is mixed to okay.

Prince of Darkness is terrible.