love

Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227632 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #640 on: November 25, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »
Never pay to see at a theatre what you can get to watch at home.

This is literally the worst thing you have ever said.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #641 on: November 25, 2011, 03:52:22 PM »
Never pay to see at a theatre what you can get to watch at home.

This is literally the worst thing you have ever said.

I've previously said I want movie theatres to go out of business as a whole. The appeal of a trip to the theatre doesn't outweigh the incredible annoyingness of distribution patterns, especially waiting year/s often for films that never even come to theatres nearby.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #642 on: November 25, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
Clearly you are trolling.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #643 on: November 25, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
Lots of different bids there. If the family is ok with that I'm heading of for a movie during the advent weekend I probably will try and see Veronique, catching the opportunity. And then watch one of the Scandinavian later in the week. But it depends on what plans other have.

Regarding cinemas: watching films at home doesn't come anywhere near watching them in a theatre. I proudly support those I have in my city. I think I'll end up at an average of one cinema visit a week this year.

I understand that some people have super awesome home move gear, but I don't. And besides I don't think it would be the same anywhere. There's something about the atmosphere in a theatre that you just can't re-create at home. And I'm talking about the positive side of it. Not the smell of popcorn.

The magic of movies. I never find it at home. Not on the same level. That's just how it is to me. I understand and respect that others have different opinions about this.

http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #644 on: November 25, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »
Nothing will ever replicate the shiver that goes down my spine when the lights go down in a movie theatre. 
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #645 on: November 25, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
Nothing will ever replicate the shiver that goes down my spine when the lights go down in a movie theatre.

This.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #646 on: November 25, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »
Regarding cinemas: watching films at home doesn't come anywhere near watching them in a theatre. I proudly support those I have in my city. I think I'll end up at an average of one cinema visit a week this year.

I understand that some people have super awesome home move gear, but I don't. And besides I don't think it would be the same anywhere. There's something about the atmosphere in a theatre that you just can't re-create at home. And I'm talking about the positive side of it. Not the smell of popcorn.

The magic of movies. I never find it at home. Not on the same level. That's just how it is to me. I understand and respect that others have different opinions about this.

I would imagine that Swedish audiences are more respectful and dignified than American audiences, who don't think twice about talking, loudly eating or opening their goddamn phones (what is with people and their stupid phones??) during a movie, as if the film were just background noise for everything else going on in their fascinating lives.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #647 on: November 25, 2011, 06:14:19 PM »
Clearly you are trolling.

How is it clear that I'm trolling. I just don't find a lot special in the theatre experience to overcome the annoying things about the distribution scheme. That is a valid opinion, no?

The best thing I can say about a theatre is that it forces me to watch the film with no distractions from start to finish without pausing. What it doesn't let me do is watch the film closely, rewatching bits if necessary, while taking notes on things so that I can form more coherent themes throughout. My reviews are better (in terms of critical quality) on films I watch at home and work on the review in bits throughout.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #648 on: November 26, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »
I would imagine that Swedish audiences are more respectful and dignified than American audiences, who don't think twice about talking, loudly eating or opening their goddamn phones (what is with people and their stupid phones??) during a movie, as if the film were just background noise for everything else going on in their fascinating lives.

It varies to be honest. Some audiences are perfectly fine. Other times you'll find people who seem to believe that they're at home in their own living room. The most recent horrible cinema going experience I had was oddly enough at my small arthouse theatre where I watched "A Separation". We were only ten people in the theatre, but among those there were to elderly ladies who couldn't shut up for a second. They commented their way through the entire movie. Not in whispers, but talking aloud! My worst "killing" looks passed them completely unnoticed. But something held me back from calling them out telling them right out to shut up.
I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I think it had to do with age, them being far older than me.
I think that's why I agree with Fro who claims that older theatre visitors are the worst in this aspect.
They talk loudly and noone calls them out for it since we're taught to be polite to elderly people.

So I too have my share of horror stories. But this doesn't take away from me that there is a certain magic in the theatre that I never experience as I watch a movie at home. It's the real thing. That's all I can say.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #649 on: November 26, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
Order 1-3 with 1 being the movie I should see first...

Hugo
The Muppets
My Week with Marilyn
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard