Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227834 times)

AAAutin

• Elite Member
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #730 on: January 10, 2012, 12:17:46 AM »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #731 on: January 10, 2012, 05:57:48 AM »
3 of those are in my Top 10 (#4 The Descendants, #6 War Horse, #8 MI-GP), 1 of those is a must see for me before making any decisions (The Artist) and the last one is one that I haven't gotten to in theaters because I've put other things in front of it though I still want to see it (Young Adult).

So I guess based on that I would go either The Descendants or War Horse.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #732 on: January 10, 2012, 09:17:21 AM »
Young Adult

This is, obvi, the best choice. A film that needs the attention more than any of those other films. It has been criminally overlooked and, of that list, comes from the top filmmaker of the bunch.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #733 on: January 10, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »
Young Adult

This is, obvi, the best choice. A film that needs the attention more than any of those other films. It has been criminally overlooked and, of that list, comes from the top filmmaker of the bunch.

YA is the best of these... though I think The Descendants may be more to your liking.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #734 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:32 AM »
My folks are coming to town for the holidays and I'm sure we'll be watching a movie or two in the evenings. I figure maybe few unseen titles from this year's best film fyc thread could possibly fit the bill (and keep me in the filmspot loop a bit). Keep in mind, I'm looking for stuff I could watch with my parents...  any good for the whole family type films in this list (it doesn't have to be completely innocuous mind you...)?

This is probably answered elsewhere, but what films did you end up watching and how did they go over with the folks?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #735 on: January 10, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »
My folks are coming to town for the holidays and I'm sure we'll be watching a movie or two in the evenings. I figure maybe few unseen titles from this year's best film fyc thread could possibly fit the bill (and keep me in the filmspot loop a bit). Keep in mind, I'm looking for stuff I could watch with my parents...  any good for the whole family type films in this list (it doesn't have to be completely innocuous mind you...)?

This is probably answered elsewhere, but what films did you end up watching and how did they go over with the folks?

pixote

Yeah. I remember you had a massive list of films you thought would work and a bunch of us offered suggestions. How'd it go?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #736 on: January 10, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
Yeah I copied over the filmspot best film FYC list. The only one on there we ended up getting around to was Apes, so I feel a little bad because people gave such good suggestions. But it's not for nothing, I learned a lot about what to expect from those films and it kindled my interest in many I was on the fence about.

As for Apes, it kept us all glued. It was my mum who first figured out what Caesar was drawing on the wall. My dad at the end said he thought he still preferred "the Heston one" but admitted that the look of the Apes here was obviously much better. It made me wonder though, if they end up making a film where the Apes are all evolved and are walking upright and speaking and such, will that still be the case? Will the cg still be as convincing? We know how normal apes look and move, and so in this film there isn't a lot to question... but if in the next film they are all walking around in clothes and speaking normally... how will we react? It should be quite interesting.

roricb

« Reply #737 on: January 10, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
I plan on seeing Carlos in the coming week.  I have enough time for both the theatrical cut and the miniseries.

Which one should I watch?

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #738 on: January 10, 2012, 04:25:17 PM »
It made me wonder though, if they end up making a film where the Apes are all evolved and are walking upright and speaking and such, will that still be the case? Will the cg still be as convincing? We know how normal apes look and move, and so in this film there isn't a lot to question... but if in the next film they are all walking around in clothes and speaking normally... how will we react? It should be quite interesting.

I hope they go for costumes-with-CG-overlay, rather than 100% mo-capped CGI.

the miniseries.

Otherwise, you'll always wonder...

Totoro

« Reply #739 on: January 10, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
The Adventures of BlandBland or The Girl with the Needless Remake?

love