Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227627 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #780 on: February 09, 2012, 01:14:28 PM »
My most recent bunch of random films I picked up at my library. Any preferences?

- The White Ribbon
- A Prophet
- The Cove

Seen these three and I'd pick The Cove, a top-100 documentary. A Prophet would be my second pick, but then I don't like Haneke or The White Ribbon.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #781 on: February 09, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
I'll be curious to hear what you think of State of Grace, too.  I just watched that recently b/c Oldman said - can't remember to whom, Mayo, maybe? - that SoG was perhaps his favorite, of his films, that he really liked playing that role.  I thought he definitely was great in it; the rest of the film, not so much, just ok.

I think it's better than Goodfellas. Oldman is way way way way way better than Pesci.

My favourite is Romeo is Bleeding. It is unhinged. Oldman can really do the man out of his depth. Speaking of which, JFK is worth watching for all the cameos (Lemmon/ Lee Jones/ Asner/ John Candy/ Pesci/ Bacon) and Oldman as the patsy puts way more into the role than is there on the page which is virtually a silent performance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:42:21 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

ArmenianScientist

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
« Reply #782 on: February 09, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
Which of these are worth seeing?

Rampart
The Grey
In Darkness
Chronicle

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #783 on: February 09, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »
The Grey

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #784 on: February 09, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »
I recommend Chronicle.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #785 on: February 09, 2012, 03:33:52 PM »
I haven't seen it but In Darkness is directed by a woman so I assume it is better than those other ones I haven't seen. It's also nominated for an Oscar.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #786 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
I'll be curious to hear what you think of State of Grace, too.  I just watched that recently b/c Oldman said - can't remember to whom, Mayo, maybe? - that SoG was perhaps his favorite, of his films, that he really liked playing that role.  I thought he definitely was great in it; the rest of the film, not so much, just ok.

I think it's better than Goodfellas. Oldman is way way way way way better than Pesci.

My favourite is Romeo is Bleeding. It is unhinged. Oldman can really do the man out of his depth. Speaking of which, JFK is worth watching for all the cameos (Lemmon/ Lee Jones/ Asner/ John Candy/ Pesci/ Bacon) and Oldman as the patsy puts way more into the role than is there on the page which is virtually a silent performance.

I loved State of Grace when I first saw it and thought Phil Joanou was going to have a much different career than he ended up having (I was a fan of his Three O'Clock High as well).  I saw it again recently and was a bit disappointed with the film as a whole.  However, Oldman was as great as I remember.  Penn and John C. Reilly were also excellent.

I'm with verbALs on the merits of JFK - great cast and performances.  (Interesting connection: Joanou was initially going to make Don Delillo's Libra with Oldman as Oswald, but Stone and JFK ultimately killed it.)

I don't remember Romeo is Bleeding at all (which is weird, as I saw it in the theater) but will revisit based on verbALs' recommendation.

Anyway - I'd go with Sid and Nancy ("the feel good movie of the year") or SoG.
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #787 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:45 PM »
Which of these are worth seeing?

Rampart
The Grey
In Darkness
Chronicle

I enjoyed Chronicle quite a bit. 

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #788 on: February 09, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »
thought Phil Joanou was going to have a much different career than he ended up having

ENTROPY, man. ENTROPY.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #789 on: February 09, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
thought Phil Joanou was going to have a much different career than he ended up having

ENTROPY, man. ENTROPY.

Are you recommending the movie, or describing his career?