Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227633 times)

coreyatad

Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #860 on: April 06, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »
I dislike it for very specific reasons. The same reasons others really love it.

Basically, it's a siege movie featuring some crazy fast Indonesian martial arts style. The stunt work is very impressive, but I was turned off by the focus on gore and violence. But if you're into that, the movie offers up nearly non-stop action.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #861 on: April 06, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
Perhaps if I finish reading my POETRY today, I will go check it out tomorrow. Or just wait for $5 Wednesdays since I'm not sure I want to see American Reunion. I do like gore and violence, but I don't really like action.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #862 on: April 06, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »
As if I didn't have enough on my plate, I'm wondering if The Descendants is worth watching.  My wife has it out from the library, but all I know about it is it was nominated for/won some awards and has George Clooney in it.  It may or may not involve Jim Rash from Community in some way.

coreyatad

« Reply #863 on: April 06, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »
Jim Rash co-wrote it.

It's a good movie. Sort of an interesting one. It's too long, and a bit too contrived, but Clooney and Woodley's performances and the general path of the plot make it a surprisingly affecting film. One that despite being very low key has actually stuck with me in a small, nice way ever since seeing it.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #864 on: April 06, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »
As if I didn't have enough on my plate, I'm wondering if The Descendants is worth watching.  My wife has it out from the library, but all I know about it is it was nominated for/won some awards and has George Clooney in it.  It may or may not involve Jim Rash from Community in some way.
It's a film about super rich people, and in a way that's grating, but it has good performances that bring out the strong writing and themes. I think it's worth giving it a shot.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #865 on: April 06, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
Judy Greer isn't in it long enough to make it worth watching. Ultimately, pretty dull. Woodley is overhyped, Clooney is nicely muted but sometimes I realized that he's holding himself back because he would eat up everyone else on screen and it took me out of the film. Save your time, Martin.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #866 on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the film titled The Raid: Redemption?

I'm trying to decide whether or not I ought to head to the theater to check it out this weekend.

For better or worst, Dave Chen on /Filmcast says it is amazing.  I think it was on one of the opening "what have you been watching this week" segments.  Amazing, non-stop action.

I say......  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Baf-E7-Z40
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #867 on: April 07, 2012, 05:15:45 AM »
Impressive choreographed fight scenes is all it has going for it.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #868 on: April 07, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the film titled The Raid: Redemption?

I'm trying to decide whether or not I ought to head to the theater to check it out this weekend.

For better or worst, Dave Chen on /Filmcast says it is amazing.

Hmm, quite troubling.

Impressive choreographed fight scenes is all it has going for it.

Hmm, quite troubling.

There are still rumblings of seeing American Reunion on Wednesday, but I may end up having to tell my friends I don't want to see that and just have to select between Footnote and The Raid: Redemption.

Totoro

« Reply #869 on: April 09, 2012, 12:16:54 AM »

No.

Watch Hugo, damn it.

:P