love

Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227664 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #910 on: May 22, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »
I just realised it's still early afternoon where you are (the sun is setting on a beautiful day here), so time to vote BOB.

"As was his nature, Bob continued to gamble", so cool
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #911 on: May 22, 2012, 06:03:01 PM »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #912 on: May 22, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
So right now it's 2 for Sanjuro and 1 for Bob Le Flambeur. 2 more hours to decide.

Totoro

« Reply #913 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
Bernie & Elena
Or
Bernie & Oslo, August 31st

?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #914 on: May 31, 2012, 10:24:35 AM »
The Intouchables - yes or no?

Has anyone seen it, because the trailer looked terribad and the description really puts me off. But it seems like critics like it, so maybe not. I don't know.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #915 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »
It was so successful here that I broke down and saw it when everyone, and I mean EVERYONE around me kept recommending it.

It is perfectly watchable, with funny bits (that feel genuinely charming and typically French) and touching bits (that feel crowd-pleasing in both a good and a 'been-there-done-that' way). I'm sure there are posters out there calling it the feel-good movie of the year.

I don't regret having watched it at all, but if you're not interested, I have to say you aren't missing a great piece of cinema.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #916 on: May 31, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »
Yeah, that's what I kind of figured. I'll just wait to see if it gets Filmspots love and then complain that more people should have forced me to see it earlier in the year instead of waiting until the end like The Skin I Live In  :P

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #917 on: May 31, 2012, 01:50:24 PM »
For me, it's the kind of film you thoroughly enjoy while it's on, but don't consider/remember when it's time for awards. I can't properly explain why, and maybe it is hugely unfair of me. The performances are strong, but I think I will see five better ones this year in all categories; there may be a line or comedic scene worthy of recognition, but two months removed, I don't remember anything that stood out.

It does make you smile and feel warm and fuzzy inside for a while, which is not to be sneered at at all.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #918 on: May 31, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
That's the kind of thing I sneer at everyday!

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #919 on: June 02, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »
Not sure where else to post this...

I watched Scenes from a Marriage today (wow!), and am now looking for more films that are basically (only) about people talking about love, relationships, sex, marriage, themselves, each other, etc. - anything between the sweet stage of meeting/falling in love (like Before Sunrise) and the vicious arguments of, say, Who's afraid for Virginia Woolf?

Any suggestions?