Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227836 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #1190 on: December 19, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
It would move to the top, everything else down one notch. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1191 on: December 20, 2012, 06:13:01 PM »
Would my mom enjoy Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale? Does it have Christmas spirit or just Christmas characters? How about It Happened on Fifth Avenue? Is that one any good?

Also, any recommendations for murder mysteries/whodunits or adventures on Instant Netflix, Hulu Plus, or Amazon Prime? Preferably movies without too many characters (it gets so confusing!) and without anybody climbing up a rickety ladder (too stressful for mom).

Here of some examples of movies my mom would love to watch for the first time right now (had she not already seen them): A Late Quartet (film of the year! this year's Bucket List!); Argo; Rope (or any other Hitchcock); Gone with the Wind (best film ever, except maybe for It's Wonderful Life); Bridesmaids; You've Got Mail; Sophie's Choice; E.T.; Home Alone; and The Bridges of Madison County.

pixote
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:22:44 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1192 on: December 20, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
Does she like Barbara Stanwyck? This is really cute.

It's about the same tier as It Happened on 5th Avenue.

Highest tier would be:

While You Were Sleeping (This is at Christmas time and I put it first because your wonderful mom likes You've Got Mail!)
White Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life (but she already knows this)
Muppet Christmas Carol
Charlie Brown Christmas
A Christmas Story
Elf (I can't help it :) )
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

And somewhere in between:

The Bishop's Wife (1947)
Miracle on 34th Street
Scrooge (1970)

These are the best equivalents I can give you (Some of hers I haven't seen.):

A Late Quartet--The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Argo--Where Eagles Dare
Rope--Charade
Gone with the Wind--Little Women (1994)
Bridesmaids--What's Up, Doc?
You've Got Mail--Return to Me
Sophie's Choice--The Reader? (haven't seen it)
E.T.--The Iron Giant
Home Alone--Matilda
The Bridges of Madison County--Places in the Heart

whodunits or adventures: How to Steal a Million

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1193 on: December 20, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »
Sandy, what about Holiday Inn? It's the start of my Christmas viewing. Crosby and Astaire. Am in in the minority thinking this is better than White Christmas?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:21:15 PM by 1SO »

Totoro

« Reply #1194 on: December 21, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
Yes.

There is black face in Holiday Inn. There is no blackface in White Christmas. This alone makes it instantly better. :P

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1195 on: December 21, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »
Yeah, and White Christmas has "I'd Rather See a Minstrel Show"/"Mister Bones." I don't usually go to Whoopie Goldberg for quotes (unless she's channeling Guinan), but her Looney Tunes intro applies across the board. :)

"... are products of their time. Unfortunately at that time, racial and ethnic differences were caricatured  in ways that may have embarrassed or hurt people of color, women and ethnic groups. Now nobody intended it, but that's what happened. Now some of the cartoons here reflect some of the prejudices that were common place in American society, especially when it came to the treatment of ethnic and racial minorities. Now these jokes were wrong then and they are wrong today, but removing these inexcusable images and jokes from this collection, would be the same as saying they never existed, so they are presented here to accurately reflect a part of our history that cannot and should not be ignored."

1SO, I haven't seen Holiday Inn since I was young, but I do have a copy now. I'll watch it tomorrow and report back.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1196 on: December 21, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »
Would my mom enjoy Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale? Does it have Christmas spirit or just Christmas characters?

I believe there is a bit of gory violence in Rare Exports, more has Santa Claus in it, rather than Christmas Spirit (I think SC goes on a bit of a killing spree).

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1197 on: December 21, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »
Sandy, what about Holiday Inn? It's the start of my Christmas viewing. Crosby and Astaire. Am in in the minority thinking this is better than White Christmas?
I hate White Christmas and think Holiday Inn is pretty fun. White Christmas a lot of terrible songs, with such deeply asinine refrains as "Snow snow snow snow snow!" and "Gee, I wish I was back in the army!"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1198 on: December 21, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »
I thought something was off with us agreeing about this. Then you brought up "Gee, I wish I was back in the army!", which is my favorite original song from White Christmas. *whew*

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #1199 on: December 21, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
Sandy, Christmas:

Remember the Night
The Shop Around the Corner
Meet Me in St. Louis
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene