love

Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227815 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #1310 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »
Look friends, FLY CINECAST!ed up. My schedule filled up these past two weeks (and the weather was terrible on the days I didn't have anything going on) so I missed Like Someone In Love in Philly (sorry, Sam).

That said, I have to get there to buy some CINECAST!ing tickets to this Danny Brown concert. So whilst there I'll be seeing a film, obvi. Here are my options. I will go either tomorrow or Friday. I'll put a * next to the ones that aren't out until Friday, but it doesn't really matter. Just let me know, I reckon, which film(s) I should prioritize or which order and/or why.

Ginger & Rosa (Don't know about this director, but #TeamElle is in this film)
Barbara (Sounds dull, but apparently a few people in these parts like this sucker)
Lore (For C-Dub, obvi)
On The Road (Feel like I should read the book first, though this shit has Kristen Stewart I think, and she's great)
The Silence (Some foreign thing I don't know much about)
Everyone Has A Plan (Some foreign thing I don't know much about)
*Reality (Not as jazzed with Gomorrah as everyone else, but liked it enough to monitor what that director does next, which is this, which won the Grand Jury prize at Cannes last year or something)

Here are things that come out next Friday, but some of these I should get at my local theatre. I guess include these if you like too, but only as a top option if you include something from that other list:

The Place Beyond The Pines (Liked BLUE VALENTINE, though Williams more than Gosling, I'll see this at some point on the big screen)
To The Wonder (Malick, I'll see this at some point on the big screen)
Trance (Liked 127 HOURS enough, but Boyle is kind of dull maybe. I'll see this at some point on the big screen out of obligation)
From Up On Poppy Hill (Haven't seen/had a chance to see a Japanese animated film on the big screen since ARRIETTY last year. Haven't watched EARTHSEA, heard mixed things about this. This is dubbed as well, not that I care)
My Brother The Devil (Haven't heard of this, but apparently the press release or whatever says it's "A masterful debut from  one of England's boldest and brightest new talents, Sally El Hosaini)

So yeah, a lot of stuff. FLY appreciates any input. He'll be in the city anyway, might as well see a damned film!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1311 on: April 02, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »
Evil Dead.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1312 on: April 02, 2013, 09:13:10 AM »
Maybe, but that will 100% be playing at my local theatre, no reason to waste a trip to the city with something I can see cheaper around here.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #1313 on: April 02, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »
On The Road (Feel like I should read the book first, though this shit has Kristen Stewart I think, and she's great)

This is the only one I've seen, and I like it a lot; but everyone else seems to hate it.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1314 on: April 02, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »
Obviously I want everybody to see Lore, but other than that I think Barbara was the one I was most interested in thanks to oneaprilday's strong recommendation. I think something like Ginger and Rosa would be something you would want to see too #TeamElle and all, though I haven't seen it myself so I can't speak to its quality.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1315 on: April 02, 2013, 11:13:57 AM »
From Up On Poppy Hill, obvi.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1316 on: April 02, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
It's too bad you missed Like Someone in Love on the big screen, FLY - it's so beeeautiful - but it was On Demand, wasn't it? It was when Adam and Josh reviewed it at the beginning of March. Maybe that's a possibility still? Check it out - it's so good!

Obviously I want everybody to see Lore, but other than that I think Barbara was the one I was most interested in thanks to oneaprilday's strong recommendation. I think something like Ginger and Rosa would be something you would want to see too #TeamElle and all, though I haven't seen it myself so I can't speak to its quality.
I definitely recommend Barbara! (Dargis's review in the NYT is spot-on, if you need a little more urging.)  I'd be curious to hear what you think of Lore, too, though. I didn't love it as much a Corndog, but I think it's really interesting - the central performance is excellent, too - and I'm most definitely curious in seeing more of Shortland's work now (especially Somersault with Abbie Cornish - now on Netflix Instant).

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1317 on: April 02, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »

You didn't check the stipulations, Sam  :P

I'll give that review a look right now, oad. I'm interested in Lore because of Corndog's high praise, and even though Barbara doesn't seem like something instantly interesting to me I have heard enough good things about it that I'm sure it's well worth watching.

This is the only one I've seen, and I like it a lot; but everyone else seems to hate it.

Yeah, I've gotten the sense that people seem to hate this too, but in this case I'm unable to figure out if it's justifiable hate because it's a bad film or if the majority of people just love the source material so much.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1318 on: April 02, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »

You didn't check the stipulations, Sam  :P
I saw it. But maybe is no certainty. Ghibli is worth seeing in theaters if possible.

Totoro

« Reply #1319 on: April 02, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »
From Up on Poppy Hill is very weak Ghibli. Avoid on big screen, better for a rental if you can.