Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227810 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #1450 on: July 20, 2013, 01:49:07 PM »
Yes! I'm so glad I saw it. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1451 on: July 21, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
A metaJunior will say PacRimpost for this thread.

Strange things are happening. I think I'm hitting a wall on watching movies. It isn't that I want to play outside, read books or watch sports, I'm just looking over my various Watchlists and it's becoming difficult to hit 'PLAY' on anything with some enthusiasm.

Last night, I watched Jeremiah Johnson until I just had to go to sleep. Most of my time the last couple of days has been spent watching short films because I haven't been interested in committing to a feature. Last night I was going to watch Colorado Territory with Mrs. 1SO before making a last minute switch to Ride Clear of Diablo because it looked more exciting, had Dan Duryea and was 15 minutes shorter. This doesn't seem like good criteria for selecting a movie. (Except for Duryea. That's guy's money in the bank.)

I've got my Hulu+ and my other streaming options which give me access to many titles on my Watchlist, but selecting and starting one is becoming more difficult. (This will not affect me watching the next Resident Evil film. That's in a separate spot in my brain.) I've got all those unwatched Masaki Kobayashi films on Hulu+ and that's what I'm least interested in seeing.

Has anybody else hit this wall and found a solution that didn't involve other activities? I'm wondering if I should push into a long movie like Shoah? Or perhaps one I have low expectations for, like Fiend Without a Face or Ride Lonesome?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:30:41 PM by 1SO »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1452 on: July 21, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »
Sometimes I just don't watch movies until I do watch movies.

Right now I'm a rather spotty movie-watcher, at about half of my typical movie-watching quota. Have been since about February. I'm sure I'll get a drive for regular film-watching at some point but I'm not trying to force it. Using the time to enjoy lots of other things life has to offer...and to look for a job.

Devil

« Reply #1453 on: July 21, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »

Last night, I watched Jeremiah Johnson until I just had to go to sleep

First of all, woah! I watched Jeremiah Johnson last night to

Has anybody else hit this wall and found a solution that didn't involve other activities? I'm wondering if I should push into a long movie like Shoah? Or perhaps one I have low expectations for, like Fiend Without a Face or Ride Lonesome?

I go through this with pretty much every hobby of mine, movies, games, books, sports. Sometimes I just need to step back and take a break from them every now and then. In regards to movies I think maybe the expectations or pressure you put on yourself to write something about it can sometimes take away from just the pure joy of watching them.
~You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him~

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1454 on: July 21, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
I think maybe the expectations or pressure you put on yourself to write something about it can sometimes take away from just the pure joy of watching them.
That's not me. I only write when I have something to say.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1455 on: July 21, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »
I have hit a similar lull since returning from my mountain vacation. Apart from catching up with Ken Burn's The National Parks doc and A River Runs Through It, both trip inspired. I run into these lulls about once or twice a year. Lack of motivation to really watch anything, or write about that which I do watch. Like Sam, I just take it as it comes. It is nice to take a break sometimes and rest your mind from seemingly constant movie watching and do something different for a bit. I always make my way back to it, with time. It happens naturally too, not on a set schedule. Whenever I feel like watching a movie again, I do it. Simple as that.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1456 on: July 21, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »
1SO, try digging out some old favorites you haven't watched in a long time.  No pressure to think about them or write about them, just enjoy getting reacquainted.

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #1457 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »
A metaJunior will say PacRimpost for this thread.

Strange things are happening. I think I'm hitting a wall on watching movies. It isn't that I want to play outside, read books or watch sports, I'm just looking over my various Watchlists and it's becoming difficult to hit 'PLAY' on anything with some enthusiasm.

Last night, I watched Jeremiah Johnson until I just had to go to sleep. Most of my time the last couple of days has been spent watching short films because I haven't been interested in committing to a feature. Last night I was going to watch Colorado Territory with Mrs. 1SO before making a last minute switch to Ride Clear of Diablo because it looked more exciting, had Dan Duryea and was 15 minutes shorter. This doesn't seem like good criteria for selecting a movie. (Except for Duryea. That's guy's money in the bank.)

I've got my Hulu+ and my other streaming options which give me access to many titles on my Watchlist, but selecting and starting one is becoming more difficult. (This will not affect me watching the next Resident Evil film. That's in a separate spot in my brain.) I've got all those unwatched Masaki Kobayashi films on Hulu+ and that's what I'm least interested in seeing.

I'll sometimes go a week without watching a movie. Sometimes, I just don't feel like watching one. Maybe I just don't have time, maybe theres nothing I have access to at the time that I wanna watch. Honestly thats probably why I haven't seen that many classics. It happens when it happens.
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1458 on: July 21, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »
1SO, try digging out some old favorites you haven't watched in a long time.  No pressure to think about them or write about them, just enjoy getting reacquainted.

This is good. I think instead of some new Peter Lorre, I may revisit The Maltese Falcon. Plus, The George Sanders Show has me wanting to rewatch Charade.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1459 on: July 21, 2013, 11:08:49 PM »
Watched both of those in the past few months. Can't really go wrong there, but you already know that.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love