Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227666 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #1540 on: October 10, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »
I would go with the first three, bruh.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #1541 on: October 10, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »
tj! I didn't know (or I had forgotten) that you were a Portlander!  Have you considered joining The Portland Film & Movie Club?

Crap! I didn't know that was a thing! Definitely going to check it out.

Edit: Also didn't know Living Room had a Monday special. Finally, a local event that works with my schedule.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1542 on: October 11, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »
Living Room has a Monday special?  I wish I could use that...
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #1543 on: October 14, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »
Speaking of Portland, my Hitchcock class this term is at 5th Avenue, and they never take attendance, and there are always 10-20 open seats. If anyone in Portland wants to see Rope, Strangers on a Train, Psycho, Vertigo, The Birds, Rear Window or Notorious on the "big screen" (blu-rays, but the difference is negligible), you should check it out. Also some very interesting discussions before and after the films. Tuesdays, 5:30-9.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:43:29 AM by tjwells »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1544 on: October 15, 2013, 08:26:18 PM »
Speaking of Portland, my Hitchcock class this term is at 5th Avenue, and they never take attendance, and there are always 10-20 open seats. If anyone in Portland wants to see The Lady Vanishes, Rope, Strangers on a Train, Psycho, Vertigo, The Birds, Rebecca, Rear Window or Notorious on the "big screen" (blu-rays, but the difference is negligible), you should check it out. Also some very interesting discussions before and after the films. Tuesdays, 5:30-9.

Very awesome.  I can't do this tonight, but I will try sometimes.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1545 on: October 22, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »
Going to have like an hour and a half after I got to the skin doctor tomorrow morning before I have stuff to do, so figure I will see a motion picture probably. Which of these is most worth watching:

Carrie
Don Jon
Enough Said

And I guess in which order in case the appointment runs early or late.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1546 on: October 22, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
Haven't seen Carrie or Don Jon, but I can recommend Enough Said.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1547 on: October 24, 2013, 08:27:13 AM »
I went with Enough Said because I saw you, Bondo, and ses speaking highly of it. JLD was relatively great as the lead (though no Selena Myer, but who is?) and Gandolfini was okay. I felt most bad for her poor daughter though and I guess would have liked to see the film from her perspective. Her mom completely forgets about her, uses her best friend as a daughter proxy, and by the end of the film she still hasn't even met this guy so all that is pretty CINECAST!ed up. Though I guess one of the aspects that makes this film so unique is its perspective, and even though I am distanced from it I don't find it completely unrelatable (or the idea that I should be able to relate to a film essential). Realistically, even though FLY's heart told him to see Don Jon, you probably helped me make the right choice, oad, so thank you for the input! There were also some pretty funny parts in this as well.

Anyhow, it appears that South Jersey is really giving FLY a pretty good CINECAST!ing this weekend. Despite being advertised in the paper as opening in four theaters, 12 Years A Slave will be opening in four PA theatre including some big AMC or some shit I guess which CINECAST!ing makes no sense because a film like that is supposed to get a Philly and Voorhees release the same week and roll out from there, but I guess that shit isn't happening and it's just getting a Philly and other PA release which means I probably need to find out who manages my theatre and ask them what the CINECAST! is up if I go there on Friday because I imagine 12YAS will open here now next Friday but I'll be out of town presumably at some stupid Halloween party that will probably suck meaning I'll have to CINECAST!ing wait even longer for this shit which is a travesty. FLY can't catch a CINECAST!ing break, now he's even playing a super team in fantasy where he is undefeated this week because of some trade that was CINECAST!ing forced through that should have rightfully been my trade and made my CINECAST!ing team an even more super team what a crock of shit I'm pretty pissed off right now about literally everything.

But whatevs, what should I watch this weekend, preferably in an order but whatever.

12 Years A Slave (take the trip to Philly, would see another film at the fest but I think Friday sucks or something outside of the Reitman thing which may also suck but is at least interesting because Reitman is interesting but I'm not paying $20 to see that film)
All Is Lost
The Counselor
Blue Is The Warmest Color
(some VoD bullshit that is made worse that I can't just stream it to my 360 via Amazon or something, but I mean I kind of need to see this and now it's most def FS eligible I guess)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1548 on: October 24, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
Wait for Blue in theaters - comes to Philly next week I think.

1) All Is Lost
2) 12 YaS
3) The Counselor... maybe?

What should I watch:

Lucas Moodysson's We Are the Best!

or

Hirokazu Kore-Eda's Like Father, Like Son

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1549 on: October 24, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »
I went with Enough Said because I saw you, Bondo, and ses speaking highly of it. JLD was relatively great as the lead (though no Selena Myer, but who is?) and Gandolfini was okay. I felt most bad for her poor daughter though and I guess would have liked to see the film from her perspective. Her mom completely forgets about her, uses her best friend as a daughter proxy, and by the end of the film she still hasn't even met this guy so all that is pretty CINECAST!ed up. Though I guess one of the aspects that makes this film so unique is its perspective, and even though I am distanced from it I don't find it completely unrelatable (or the idea that I should be able to relate to a film essential). Realistically, even though FLY's heart told him to see Don Jon, you probably helped me make the right choice, oad, so thank you for the input! There were also some pretty funny parts in this as well.
Sounds like you didn't love it quite as much as I, but I'm glad you think I steered you well! :)

What should I watch:

Lucas Moodysson's We Are the Best!

or

Hirokazu Kore-Eda's Like Father, Like Son
Haven't seen either, but I'm dying to see the new Kore-Eda!