Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227628 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #1570 on: November 11, 2013, 03:51:18 PM »
Something from 2013 or something with Emma Roberts?

EDIT: Or something from 2013 with #TeamElle

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #1571 on: November 12, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1572 on: November 12, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »
Another b&w 2013 film, Frances Ha, is on there that I have not seen so I guess #TeamEmma and #TeamElle take a back seat once again tonight.

EDIT: Ah (ha), you posted that in the other thread.

jascook

• Cue the sun
    • Jas Watches Movies:  The Blog
« Reply #1573 on: November 13, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »
My local Family Video, where there are very few non-English films on the shelves, surprisingly has three Takashi Miike films:

Sukiyaki Western:  Django
Harakari
13 Assassins

I haven't seen any Miike films.  I'm not at all sure if they're the kind of movies I would enjoy, but I am curious to see what they're like.  Would the good folks at Filmspotting suggest one of the above, or a different film as a first Miike?
Sara: Good-bye, father Isak. Can't you see you're the one I love? Today, tomorrow and forever.
Isak Borg: I'll keep that in mind.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1574 on: November 13, 2013, 01:14:35 PM »
I would recommend 13 Assassins. It's not typical of Miike's more notorious work, but it is well made and will give you confidence that this is a solid director with skills. Perhaps a cushion of goodwill if you choose to venture into some of his riskier filmography.

jascook

• Cue the sun
« Reply #1575 on: November 13, 2013, 01:25:18 PM »
I would recommend 13 Assassins. It's not typical of Miike's more notorious work, but it is well made and will give you confidence that this is a solid director with skills. Perhaps a cushion of goodwill if you choose to venture into some of his riskier filmography.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.  Thanks, 1SO!
Sara: Good-bye, father Isak. Can't you see you're the one I love? Today, tomorrow and forever.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #1576 on: November 13, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »
I agree with 1SO, 13 Assassins is a good place to start. As a sidenote, I'd generally recommend skipping his Harakiri in favor of Masaki Kobayashi's original. Miike's is a solid film, but I consider Kobayashi's a masterpiece and reccommend it as the preferable experience.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1577 on: November 13, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »
13 Assassins would also be my choice.

jascook

• Cue the sun
« Reply #1578 on: November 13, 2013, 01:39:07 PM »
I agree with 1SO, 13 Assassins is a good place to start. As a sidenote, I'd generally recommend skipping his Harakiri in favor of Masaki Kobayashi's original. Miike's is a solid film, but I consider Kobayashi's a masterpiece and reccommend it as the preferable experience.

Ooh, I didn't realize Kobayashi did the original, thanks for that.  I need to check out more of his work.  I've only seen I Will Buy You so far.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1579 on: November 13, 2013, 01:55:38 PM »
Finishing the list, Sukiyaki Western: Django is pants and should be seen by nobody. It contains Quentin Tarantino's worst performance. Think about that for a moment.

Masaki Kobayashi is a master filmmaker with hours upon hours of greatness for you to discover. His Directors Thread confirms this so far with not a single bad comment.

I wish this community would pledge to doing a Marathon of Kobayashi and Satyajit Ray in 2014.

love