love

Author Topic: What should I watch?  (Read 227592 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #1630 on: January 15, 2014, 12:21:03 AM »
If I were scheduling this as a film festival, I'd go...

The Spectacular Now
Prisoners
Drinking Buddies
Short Term 12

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1631 on: January 15, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »
If I were scheduling this as a film festival, I'd go...

The Spectacular Now
Prisoners
Drinking Buddies
Short Term 12

I think this is how I'm going to watch them, I definitely want to follow up Prisoners with Drinking Buddies.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1632 on: January 18, 2014, 06:26:20 PM »
Today will either be Wolf of Wallstreet, Her, or Inside Llewyn Davis  Need to convince my wife it should be ILD but Wolf is playing closer to a famous Fried Char Kway Teow stall which gets the advantage.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #1633 on: January 18, 2014, 10:42:24 PM »
Today will either be Wolf of Wallstreet, Her, or Inside Llewyn Davis  Need to convince my wife it should be ILD but Wolf is playing closer to a famous Fried Char Kway Teow stall which gets the advantage.

I feel like I wouldn't really want to watch the Wolf of Wall Street with my significant other.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1634 on: January 19, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »

I feel like I wouldn't really want to watch the Wolf of Wall Street with my significant other.

Curious, what would would make something uncomfortable to watch something with your SO? There are times where I might start to feel a bit uncomfortable watching something with my wife but those things are usually more around something that would start a conversation that would start like "Would you ever do that..." as opposed to any graphic violence, sex, drugs, swearing, etc.

We watched it and both quite liked it.  I really wanted ILD but I am afraid she doesn't quite share my love for the Coen Brother films.  Better for me to enjoy it on my own that be distracted if I sense she is getting a bit bored or just really doesn't like it.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Beavermoose

• Godfather
« Reply #1635 on: January 21, 2014, 05:31:16 PM »
I guess it always depends on what kind of person they are. Glad you guys enjoyed it though. :)

Trying to pick among these? I'm thinking Captain Phillips...

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
Captain Phillips
The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty
Saving Mr. Banks
Nebraska
Philomena
August: Osage County

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1636 on: January 21, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »
Captain Phillips was great.  But I haven't seen the others.  I can't wait to see Saving Mr. Banks, but Philomena and August are top of my list too. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1637 on: January 22, 2014, 01:05:06 AM »
I guess it always depends on what kind of person they are.

The kind that told about watching Salo the first time we time we met at a dinner party.

From your list.. Captain Phillips but it is the only one I have had a chance to watch

Beavermoose

• Godfather
« Reply #1638 on: January 22, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »
I guess it always depends on what kind of person they are.

The kind that told about watching Salo the first time we time we met at a dinner party.

Haha, That one's a keeper! :)

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #1639 on: January 22, 2014, 03:55:35 PM »
Need to watch a movie that somehow is about sports. It's a theme of an upcoming blogathon. I was thinking about seeing Hoop Dreams, which I haven't seen. Bondo wasn't overly enthusiastic about it though. And it's very long.

Are there other opinions available? Is HD a good choice or do you have any other suggestions for someone who normally isn't particularly interested in sports, though I can enjoy movies that take place in that settings occiasionally (such as The Damned United)?
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies