Author Topic: What are you doing?  (Read 281041 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: What are you doing?
« Reply #7180 on: June 14, 2019, 12:39:02 AM »
Itd be amazing to have Corndog win Woman of the Year.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7181 on: July 21, 2019, 03:25:22 PM »
In four hours all that will be left of my work is returning equipment and cleaning up the office. A long period of constant, financially rewarding work is coming to an end and I will be going back to having many hours of day of leisure time.

Perhaps one day I will strike a healthy balance of the two.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #7182 on: July 29, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »
In four hours all that will be left of my work is returning equipment and cleaning up the office. A long period of constant, financially rewarding work is coming to an end and I will be going back to having many hours of day of leisure time.

Perhaps one day I will strike a healthy balance of the two.

THIS.  Just finished ten weeks of intense, but fun and interesting work!  So, I am here, I hope to watch lots of things and make some posts before back to school!
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #7183 on: August 08, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
Getting a Mac Mini. I've been a diehard Windows guy since 1996, but after a Windows Update made my hard drive completely conk out yesterday (in a laptop that's less than 2 years old), I'm ready to make the switch. While I still prefer the Windows interface, I know Macs are a lot more reliable. And I don't do coding or anything Windows-specific on my home computer anymore, my needs are all pretty basic these days and well supported by a Mac.

...also making a Fedora boot USB drive in the hopes of recovering some of the data from my laptop. Fingers crossed. While there's no catastrophic loss, there are a few spreadsheets I'd hate to lose, and some media that would be annoying to have to find and download again.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7184 on: August 08, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
Always frustrating to lose a drive. Im curious, was it an SSD?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #7185 on: August 08, 2019, 11:54:06 AM »
I've been Linux for a while now and love it. I do have a Windows partition I use once in a blue moon but I do almost everything I could want on a Linux machine.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #7186 on: August 08, 2019, 12:00:56 PM »
Always frustrating to lose a drive. Im curious, was it an SSD?

tbh I'm not 100% sure, but yes I believe so. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5565.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #7187 on: August 08, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
Smirnoff, a SSD is a solid state drive. No spinning disk in other words.

Martin, I just got a Mac Mini this year and been very happy with it. I have a 4k monitor attached. When you are thinking about what extras to get, consider leaving the base SSD size and getting external USB-C SSD drive(s). It will be cheaper and not noticeably different speed wise.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #7188 on: August 08, 2019, 05:12:30 PM »
Oh yes, I ordered a USB-C drive already. Went with a 1 TB... I doubt I'll need more than that for a long time (I've come nowhere near close to filling up the 512gb on the laptop). Even though 2 TB was only like $20 more, I figure I can easily get a bigger one later if I need to.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7189 on: August 08, 2019, 08:09:17 PM »
Smirnoff, a SSD is a solid state drive. No spinning disk in other words.

Right I get that... but presumably an SSD can also conk out, albeit in a different way. They have an estimated number of read/write cycles they are expected to live for is my understanding, but i imagine sometimes they can fall short of it. Like LEDs and their supposed 25,000hours. :)

Among my friends, those who've had Dell laptops have always been disppointed by some component failing after only a short while. Batteries especially. Cheap power cords too.