Author Topic: What are you doing?  (Read 292430 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Re: What are you doing?
« Reply #7220 on: December 31, 2019, 11:47:59 PM »
Happy New Year!

etdoesgood

• Air-conditioned auditoriums playing movies ROCK
« Reply #7221 on: January 18, 2020, 01:50:29 AM »
Waiting for the Ambien to finally kick in so I can get some sleep.

I will also say that Ambien, having used it in spurts in the past to get my sleeping patterns back in line, does not lead to racism.
A desert person

Letterboxd: phxphilmphan

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7222 on: January 18, 2020, 02:12:26 AM »
For me nothing works quite like putting on an episode of a show I like, but have seen a ton of times. Turn the volume down to just loud enough you can hear what the people are saying, turn the other direction, snooze. It hits that sweet spot of being good enough to keep my attention (preventing me from staying awake with my own thoughts), while not keeping me awake because I want to see how it turns out (I already know). I find funny is best. I ain't falling alseep to episodes of Deadwood. :))

etdoesgood

« Reply #7223 on: January 18, 2020, 08:52:07 PM »
I'll try anything 3 times. My insomnia is well paired with my anxiety issues, so maybe that'll get my brain off my troubles of the day.

I used to fall asleep to Harry Potter films in a similar manner, but that, like most strategies, had its effects wear off.
A desert person

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7224 on: January 18, 2020, 09:06:37 PM »
I find cannabis is effective for both insomnia and anxiety. #RockyMountainHigh

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7225 on: January 18, 2020, 09:44:57 PM »
For me nothing works quite like putting on an episode of a show I like, but have seen a ton of times. Turn the volume down to just loud enough you can hear what the people are saying, turn the other direction, snooze. It hits that sweet spot of being good enough to keep my attention (preventing me from staying awake with my own thoughts), while not keeping me awake because I want to see how it turns out (I already know). I find funny is best. I ain't falling alseep to episodes of Deadwood. :))

I usually play some kind of podcasts that is just interesting enough to keep me listening and not thinking. Could be the news or something like Sam Harris, the conversation can be sometimes interesting but his voice can help anybody sleep. But when my wife is around she needs silence so I use a ear phone. The only problem I wake up tangled in some wire

I like Bondo’s solution but I would have to move
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

etdoesgood

« Reply #7226 on: January 19, 2020, 04:18:01 AM »
Me, too. Or get a card.
A desert person

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7227 on: January 21, 2020, 02:26:56 AM »
Questioning my decision to go to China this weekend
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #7228 on: January 21, 2020, 04:35:53 PM »
Questioning my decision to go to China this weekend

I agree. At least don't eat fish caught in the Yangtze. Is Singapore screening? Sydney has three flights a week arriving from Wuhan. Screening of course, but I've been through that screening for a different virus and it's not probing at all. Just asks if you have a fever and are feeling unwell on a form to fill out and go on your way.
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7229 on: January 21, 2020, 10:11:26 PM »
They are doing temp screening for all flights from China starting today I believe.  Will see how things develop in the next 2 days but unless my wife changes her mind, then I am sure I will be going.