love

Author Topic: What are you doing?  (Read 592331 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: What are you doing?
« Reply #940 on: April 26, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »
Being upset at hackers. Seriously people, why the need to potentially screw everyone over? Just leave us all alone and go play your computer games elsewhere, more specifically leave the PlayStation Network and my personal info alone.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #941 on: April 26, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »
I don't mind it. These are the same types of people who end up doing things I find helpful or good.

It keeps Sony honest.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #942 on: April 26, 2011, 10:53:36 PM »
I don't mind it. These are the same types of people who end up doing things I find helpful or good.

It keeps Sony honest.

This is, very simply, a complete load of shite.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #943 on: April 26, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
It's unavoidably Sony's error. We know these kinds of people are out there, so if you don't take sufficient measures to protect against it this happens. It sucks, but it's nothing new, online or off.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #944 on: April 26, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »
It's unavoidably Sony's error. We know these kinds of people are out there, so if you don't take sufficient measures to protect against it this happens. It sucks, but it's nothing new, online or off.

Yeah, but there are always going to be holes. Sony should have maybe had their system more secure, but I refuse to believe that making it more secure would have stopped anything once a hacker was set on doing something like this. There is only one fact ultimately, and that is whoever did this illegally accessed a network and then criminally stole the personal information of millions of people.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #945 on: April 26, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »
Prepping the next Reelists article. It's alright if you get it a bit before noon, froham? I try to send in articles as complete and mistake free as possible, but is that enough time for you considering that the article should, in theory, be up on Thursday?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #946 on: April 26, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »
Tis perfect.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #947 on: April 27, 2011, 12:12:17 AM »
Yeah, but there are always going to be holes. Sony should have maybe had their system more secure, but I refuse to believe that making it more secure would have stopped anything once a hacker was set on doing something like this. There is only one fact ultimately, and that is whoever did this illegally accessed a network and then criminally stole the personal information of millions of people.

All of computer science groans in disgust. ;) If determination were all it took online banking, e-commerce, private networks, etc. would entirely fall apart. Hackers work towards these things on a constant basis, you just only hear about the ones where they succeed, and it's up to the system designer's to make sure they don't.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #948 on: April 27, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »
Of course all it takes is determination. In this day and age holes are just as unavoidable as hackers. There is no such thing as a 100% secure network. Did Sony screw up massively, yes, they did, and they need to be more damn careful about this sort of thing, but that is not a reason whatsoever to absolve real criminals of their criminal actions.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #949 on: April 27, 2011, 12:48:22 AM »
Oh come on, surely you don't think I'm absolving the criminals of their actions. That's completely beside the point.

It's pretty impossible to quantify how secure a "system" is (to use necessarily vague terminology), especially since there are so many different types of security involved, but it's not as you say. The point is that this attack was completely avoidable, a simple oversight that allowed the attackers to bypass the real security.  But the thing that makes it more akin to negligence is that such a compromise allowed access to PSN user's sensitive personal information. That should never happen.

Remember, the attack itself has not caused any down time and would have been pretty harmless if Sony had properly protected that information. They took the network down themselves because they can't run it until they do things "right" in order to, erm, minimize the class action lawsuits. :)

love