love

Author Topic: What are you doing?  (Read 592247 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you doing?
« Reply #970 on: April 29, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
These all freshmen?

I teach at a community college, I don't think terms like freshmen are relevant in that setting. Most of my prior experience was underclassmen at a university.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #971 on: April 29, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
Ah, you're probably correct. When was the deadline set exactly? If a lot of them are older they may be working or something.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #972 on: April 29, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »
Prepping a review for Dark Crystal.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #973 on: April 29, 2011, 03:43:22 PM »
Feeling powerless and depressed. My first class's term paper deadline just passed. 1/3 didn't turn a paper in (it is worth 20% of their grade) and of those that did turn it in, 1/5 I'll probably have to take to task for plagiarism. These are my first cases in four semesters teaching.
I know exactly how you feel.  I had a bunch of plagiarizers in one class last year after having no plagiarism for years, and I always have students who just don't turn their work in - even though are often really bright, intelligent students.  It is depressing to see the waste of a quarter's time and money for a bright student - and plagiarism feels like a personal slap in the face to me.

But that's the way it goes, I guess.  I make my syllabus as clear as possible about plagiarism and deadlines, and tell my students at the beginning of the quarter that the syllabus is a contract both they and I are responsible for.  If they don't fulfill the requirements of the contract, it's sad, but it's their problem.  They may need to get burned in order to realize things need to change in their academic life.

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #974 on: April 29, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »
Sitting in a huge hangar at Oregon State University with over 100 PC gamers LANing it out. Nerd out!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #975 on: April 30, 2011, 07:23:45 AM »
Going to a movie, then watching a movie, then off to the Reds game tonight to get my 2010 NL MVP Joey Votto bobblehead and see one of my favorite pitchers play, Josh Johnson of the Florida Marlins.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #976 on: April 30, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »
Feeling powerless and depressed. My first class's term paper deadline just passed. 1/3 didn't turn a paper in (it is worth 20% of their grade) and of those that did turn it in, 1/5 I'll probably have to take to task for plagiarism. These are my first cases in four semesters teaching.
I know exactly how you feel.  I had a bunch of plagiarizers in one class last year after having no plagiarism for years, and I always have students who just don't turn their work in - even though are often really bright, intelligent students.  It is depressing to see the waste of a quarter's time and money for a bright student - and plagiarism feels like a personal slap in the face to me.

But that's the way it goes, I guess.  I make my syllabus as clear as possible about plagiarism and deadlines, and tell my students at the beginning of the quarter that the syllabus is a contract both they and I are responsible for.  If they don't fulfill the requirements of the contract, it's sad, but it's their problem.  They may need to get burned in order to realize things need to change in their academic life.

When I was teaching I never felt bad about punishing either cheaters or people who were late to submit work. I always felt those were the two things about academia closest to being in the labour force. When they leave and get a job neither will be tolerated so I felt like it was some of the best real world training I provided by imposing those penalties.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #977 on: April 30, 2011, 03:39:43 PM »
Upgrading from a 47 inch TV to a 55 inch smart TV. Bigger!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

enzobot24

« Reply #978 on: May 01, 2011, 03:26:57 AM »
Very nice.

What type?
Most recent DVD purchase: A Very Long Engagement
Most recent Blu-ray purchase: Paprika

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #979 on: May 01, 2011, 08:03:29 AM »
Last weekend I rode to the park in shorts in a t-shirt. This morning there's 2 inches of slow on the ground and it's blowing like stink. I really thought winter was over this time! :(

love