love

Author Topic: What are you doing?  (Read 591888 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you doing?
« Reply #1130 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
Feeling super nervous about having to make a research presentation tomorrow. I wasn't scheduled to present but my co-author just emailed to say she can't make it because she's not feeling well.
She didn't even send me slides so am starting from scratch :-\. Butterflies in my stomach.

That sucks. Best to try to avoid just reading from a paper version. You co authored so you know the material. Have fun and look at it as a chance to chat about something you really know about.

You know more about the topic than the audience.

Then again I am a nerd and love presenting at conferences.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #1131 on: June 13, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence :). Really need it right now.
I love presenting too usually. I just hate being caught unawares. I think I'll feel better once I actually get my slides done instead of just complaining about it!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1132 on: June 13, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »
Feeling super nervous about having to make a research presentation tomorrow. I wasn't scheduled to present but my co-author just emailed to say she can't make it because she's not feeling well.
She didn't even send me slides so am starting from scratch :-\. Butterflies in my stomach.

Just have to ask, do you think she is really sick?  Seems strange she wouldn't send the slides unless she didn't have any?  Good luck
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #1133 on: June 13, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »
Just have to ask, do you think she is really sick?  Seems strange she wouldn't send the slides unless she didn't have any?  Good luck

Yeah, no idea. Never worked with her prior to this and I'm non-confrontational (i.e. wimpy) to a fault. So didn't even bother to ask too many questions.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1134 on: June 13, 2011, 07:17:48 PM »

Yeah, no idea. Never worked with her prior to this and I'm non-confrontational (i.e. wimpy) to a fault. So didn't even bother to ask too many questions.

Yes, I sort of would be the same, not to be non-confrontational, just that I think it would be wasted energy that won't change anything.  Anyway, don't let us distract you too much if you need to work on the preso. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:22:40 PM by jdc »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1135 on: June 13, 2011, 07:49:24 PM »
Good luck, worm. You'll do great!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1136 on: June 13, 2011, 08:01:33 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence :). Really need it right now.
I love presenting too usually. I just hate being caught unawares. I think I'll feel better once I actually get my slides done instead of just complaining about it!

w@w - you will do awesome!
Hey, nice marmot!

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #1137 on: June 13, 2011, 08:06:29 PM »
Discovering the 'Desert Island Discs' archives.
I'm pretty sure they weren't there the last time I looked at that website, and yay! Excitement!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1138 on: June 13, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
What kind if research do you do w@w? I know what Ses does but not what you do.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1139 on: June 13, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
Rejoicing to see posts from Marbe(girl).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love