love

Author Topic: What are you doing?  (Read 592121 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: What are you doing?
« Reply #1630 on: September 16, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
Working hard at resting.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #1631 on: September 16, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
Working hard at resting.

I am unfamiliar with that particular Bowie lyric.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1632 on: September 16, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
Well, my interview went really well.  I'm pretty sure they're going to call me back for the next round.  The thing is, it's looking like it will be a big salary cut for me... like, 15% or more.  I really have to think about what it's worth to me to have a job that's more fulfilling, more convenient, and less stressful. 

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1633 on: September 16, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »
Well, if you can still live rather well, I'd say it would be worth it as most individuals do spend a majority of their time working. You might have to cut down on all those DVD/bluray preorders...

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1634 on: September 16, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »
Stress avoidance is worth a lot to me unfortunately. I was talking to a former co-worker who made the same as me there who is in consideration for a job making more than twice as much, but doing something I would never tolerate (emotionally). I on the other hand would be content making the amount I was for the rest of my life if it meant a job that didn't result in anxiety attacks.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #1635 on: September 17, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
Recovering from watching two Bollowood movies in a row in a theatre which was full to the very last seat. The films had more of... everything. Don't know quite what to make of it. There were moments when I thought: "Now I'm leaving, this is just poor, shitty comedy I'd never ever sit through if it was from EU or US". But then the movie countered with a crazy dance number and I was back enchanted by some weird spell.

Quite an experience it was. But I'm not sure if I can take more Bollywood tomorrow as the festival carries on. A couple is enough to make me satisfied for a long time...

http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1636 on: September 17, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »
Ooh, which ones did you end up seeing? Reviews coming?

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #1637 on: September 17, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »
Reviews will come. I hope to get some time for writing tomorrow. I have two others I need to write first. I've had quite a fantastic mix of movie watching the last few days: First Hunger from 1966, which somehow reminded me of Naked... And then I watched The Illusionist from last year, the animated one.

And tonight it was Bollywood. I watched first The Japanese wife and then 3 Idiots. So many different genres!

I might watch Kabhi Khushi Khabie Gham or Udaan tomorrow as the festival continues. All the showings are free, which is pretty awesome! The Indian embassy sponsors this. I think they see an opportunity to market India for tourism, judging from all the tourist leaflets they're spreading.

However I've got a cold that is running increasingly bad, so I'm not sure I can make it. :(

It was quite an experience just to watch those two Indian movies tonight. 75 percent of the audience had Indian origins and judging from their reactions, they found 3 idiots incredibly funny. That was quite some laughing toing on there! I wasn't on the same page all the time but I can't deny that Bollywood movies has a certain charm. I've never EVER seen as many male actors crying on screen for instance.

I'll write something proper tomorrow. But first I need to tend to Hunger and The Illusionist, which have waited longer in the queue.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1638 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
And tonight it was Bollywood. I watched first The Japanese wife and then 3 Idiots. So many different genres!

Definitely want to hear your thoughts on these.  The first was a big disappointment for me, considering Aparna Sen's previous work.  And the second is lined up for my List of Shame.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1639 on: September 17, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
That's just because you refuse to watch the great Mary Poppins.