Author Topic: What are you doing?  (Read 278291 times)

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: What are you doing?
« Reply #1690 on: September 29, 2011, 01:33:19 AM »
We ended up with 12 people for Jeanne Dielman.  It was not our least attended film ever, instead it was #119 out of 120.

(The lowest was 7 people last fall for Evil Dead 2, the problem there was that Bruce Campbell was appearing at a showing of the first Evil Dead two days later at a Zombie Convention in town).

I'm not really surprised, we designed this series knowing the last two weeks would be a tough sell (last week was Celine & Julie Go Boating, which exceeded expectations and drew 28 people).  We made enough $ on the others that we still ended up in profit for the series.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #1691 on: September 29, 2011, 02:14:31 AM »
Just read an email where my application for the Online Film Critic's Society was rejected, on the basis that my reviews are not up to their level of quality, I don't offer meaningful and distinctive contributions to film criticism, and that my website is not professional looking. I didn't expect to make it in, but it still sucks.

Being rejected is never nice. How shallow it sounds I hope you'll not let the disappointment overwhelm you. As far as I understand from their website you could always apply again next year. If this really is that important to you - make it a project to come up to their standards. Look at their current member's websites. How are they different to yours? Is there any way you could change in that direction to become more like them?

On the other hand you might ask yourself: do you really need to be a member of that society? I figure yes if you're aiming for making a living out of writing about movies, but if it's just a great hobby, why not let it be that way?

If you ask me I think personal blogs are more fun to read than the websites of the members of that society. I didn't recognize any of them, but I checked out a handful and I thought to myself that it wasn't for me. Not personal enough.

However, if you really, really are aiming for that, you shouldn't be put off by that letter. It's not the end. It's just a start on your way into the club.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1692 on: September 29, 2011, 08:49:56 AM »
We ended up with 12 people for Jeanne Dielman
Ouch. It played in Vancouver in 2009, I wonder how they did with it.

We made enough $ on the others that we still ended up in profit for the series.
That's good.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1693 on: September 29, 2011, 09:52:17 AM »
We ended up with 12 people for Jeanne Dielman.  It was not our least attended film ever, instead it was #119 out of 120.

How many stayed through the whole thing?
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1694 on: September 29, 2011, 10:04:23 AM »
 :'(  :'(  :'(

I would adore the chance to see JD proper on the big screen. Keep fighting the good fight, Sean!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1695 on: September 29, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »
Preparing for my job interview. Nerd powers activate!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1696 on: September 29, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
Enjoying these Onion #CongressHostage tweets.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1697 on: September 29, 2011, 11:59:46 AM »
That doesn't seem too bad to me, considering.  I've been in our indie theater here on the opening night of a film with even fewer in attendance.  Bellingham is smaller than Seattle, of course, but still.

Good luck! God speed! Knock 'em dead!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1698 on: September 29, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

cashier at Newbury Comics?

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1699 on: September 29, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »
Just read an email where my application for the Online Film Critic's Society was rejected, on the basis that my reviews are not up to their level of quality, I don't offer meaningful and distinctive contributions to film criticism, and that my website is not professional looking. I didn't expect to make it in, but it still sucks.

I just peaked at their site, well, it is hardly professional looking.  Just looks like a blog site but I have not read through their content yet.  Will look more into them over the weekend.
Yeah websites that read as a list like that shouldn't be criticising other people's work, when they seem to be being deliberately plain. Not leading by example are they? From what I have seen of website design software leaving it that dull, is just plain obtuse.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy