love

Author Topic: Currently Reading {2011 Edition}  (Read 50828 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Currently Reading {2011 Edition}
« Reply #500 on: December 05, 2011, 05:57:48 PM »
I started that new Stephen King book last night. It is good so far.

I want to start that - need to finish Murakami 1st...
Hey, nice marmot!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #501 on: December 05, 2011, 07:30:23 PM »
I'm about 5 chapters in (100 pages on my nook) and it's really great. I could see a movie being great.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

mousterpiece

• Elite Member
    • Mousterpiece Cinema
« Reply #502 on: December 05, 2011, 08:30:14 PM »
Because I was curious and loved the movie, I just read The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick. What surprises me most between the movie and book is that Martin Scorsese, at least with his last two films, is slavishly faithful to his source material. (Or, the people who write those scripts are slavishly faithful.) Yes, the flair that Scorsese brings to Shutter Island and Hugo isn't found in many books, but Invention of Hugo Cabret, partly because it's almost evenly divided between illustrations and text and partly because it's about film preservation in some way, seems like it was tailor-made for the director.

All of that basically means that I enjoyed the book just about as much as I enjoyed the movie. Had this been around when I was 10 or so, it'd be my favorite book. As it is, I want to own this book so my son or daughter, at that age, can fall head over heels for it.
Listen to my podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema!

Find me on Sound on Sight!

Follow me on Twitter!

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #503 on: December 18, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #504 on: December 18, 2011, 02:10:04 PM »
Because I was curious and loved the movie, I just read The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick. What surprises me most between the movie and book is that Martin Scorsese, at least with his last two films, is slavishly faithful to his source material. (Or, the people who write those scripts are slavishly faithful.) Yes, the flair that Scorsese brings to Shutter Island and Hugo isn't found in many books, but Invention of Hugo Cabret, partly because it's almost evenly divided between illustrations and text and partly because it's about film preservation in some way, seems like it was tailor-made for the director.

All of that basically means that I enjoyed the book just about as much as I enjoyed the movie. Had this been around when I was 10 or so, it'd be my favorite book. As it is, I want to own this book so my son or daughter, at that age, can fall head over heels for it.

The book is gorgeous - loved it.
Hey, nice marmot!

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #505 on: December 18, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »
@jrod- I'd appreciate your thoughts on Blood Meridian when you read it, so I can consider it once I've got through the mountain of books I have created watching movies this year.

No Country For Old Men, the book, was a great companion to the film because that subject of "evil in the world" was expanded upon in the book, but I failed on  "The Road" had it for ages but never read it. 
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #506 on: December 18, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

I stopped reading this for too long and now I've lost my place, both figuratively and literally. It seems my first gen ebook reader (coming on 4 or 5 years old now I'd guess) loses all it's bookmarks when you let the battery drain completely (which happens pretty quickly these days). I don't feel like starting from page one again, and I don't want to start in the middle without proper context so I guess I'm just going to abandon it for now. Maybe one day after it's completely faded from memory I'll begin again. It was wonderful while it lasted, a shame I stopped (for Skyrim, which I've now abandoned because it froze on me and that's complete crap. I'm never buying a Bethsada game again, or RPG for that matter).

Anyways it may be time to start thinking about an upgrade. *rubs his hands together for boxing day*

Also, I'm beginning this:

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #507 on: December 22, 2011, 04:06:43 AM »
Re-reading 100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso.

100 issue comic book series collected in 13 paperbacks. It's like The Wire of crime comics.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #508 on: December 22, 2011, 04:57:57 AM »
@noff- that's a laudable attitude to giving the book a proper chance, and obviously god is a Nicen fan because he froze your game!

I had a long run of books that I abandoned it became a disease. Since those books included such goodies as Team of Rivals and American Gods, plus Conolly's Harry Bosch stories, I have no excuses. now I have the following waiting to read;

Elmore Leonard's Moonshine Wars
Flannery O'Connor's short stories
Bester's Psychoshop
Michael Powell's Biog

Hate not reading enough. I used to have more control over my life so that trivial activities like.... Working kept out of the way of the important things in life.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #509 on: December 23, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »

Except, you know, the whole thing and not just issue 4.

love