Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions  (Read 78762 times)

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #2120 on: January 16, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »
I'm a little surprised at how flat it appears The Post has been received. I really expected it to make much more of an impact upon its release given its subject matter. I loved the movie, and while I admitted it was not the "best" movie I had seen this year, and history will likely forget it somewhat, this one just felt like the "now" movie of 2017, much more so than Three Billboards, which seems to be taking up that torch, inexplicably (to me).
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2121 on: June 05, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
I loved Suburbicon. Surprising. Suspenseful. I only know the complaint about the two different stories, but I liked the way the two harmonized and occasionally crossed. Clooney’s best direction by far and a really different arc for Matt Damon to play. Plus, Oscar Isaac was superb.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2122 on: June 05, 2018, 09:37:17 PM »
I loved Suburbicon. Surprising. Suspenseful. I only know the complaint about the two different stories, but I liked the way the two harmonized and occasionally crossed. Clooney’s best direction by far and a really different arc for Matt Damon to play. Plus, Oscar Isaac was superb.

Well that convinces me enough to at least try it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2123 on: June 06, 2018, 05:39:45 AM »
I think I missed Suburbicon. I kind of wanted to see it, but it went in a flash. They have to stop showing nonsense no one cares about for two months and project interesting movies for only a week.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #2124 on: June 06, 2018, 10:29:23 AM »
Suburbicon felt to me like someone trying to make a film that looked and sounded like Coen film, but only got the superficiality of their style without any of the substance.

I do agree that Oscar Isaac is terrific in his one scene (and Damon is fine too).

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #2125 on: June 23, 2018, 11:05:20 PM »
Jurrasic World Fallen Kingdom is really fun

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2126 on: June 24, 2018, 07:33:26 AM »
Yup. Second best movie of the series.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2127 on: November 09, 2018, 08:29:46 PM »
1. I'm looking forward to Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. I'm not surprised by the volume of negative reviews. I started to feel like an outsider on this with my disproportionate appreciation for the first Fantastic Beasts. I'm like the person who came out of The Hobbit excited for the next installments (if such a person exists.)

2. I've been thinking about my favorite films of the Decade - never too late to build a list - and I wonder how much my tastes have changed. I think there's been a greater shift in the past few years than all of my 20s and 30s. No idea why. My tastes have always been very mainstream, but I keep thinking about titles like Phoenix (2014) and Toni Erdmann (2016), two films whose final scenes are among the best of the Decade. Neither is in the running for my Top 100, but they definitely deserve mention.

3. I love watching Dana Andrews. I like the timbre of his voice and the honesty of his performances. He's cool, but in a more human way than other tough guys from his era. Greatly underappreciated.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2128 on: November 09, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
Fantastic Beasts 1 was great. I'll fight someone who says otherwise.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2129 on: November 09, 2018, 11:40:24 PM »
I don't remember a damn thing about the first Hobbit film, and didn't see the others. Also think Yates is kind of dull. And Redmayne has been largely unimpressive aside from Jupiter Ascending and (guess he was alright in Danish Girl too). Still excited for the new film though, just love seeing that world brought to life.