Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions  (Read 209652 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
But never will I understand how anyone would ever volunteer to watch something like The Kings Speech, everything about that movie screams pretentiousness and Oscar bait.

So tired of people saying crap like this. Over and over again people have written how "Oh my I was so surprised at how amazing this was considering it looked like Oscar bait trash." People. Get over yourselves. This movie is getting accolades from just about every person who has seen it. Stop making judgements based on premise or a trailer and go see it and decide for yourself.

I would try to sit here and convince you that you are wrong about your wild impressions of the film based on not having seen it, but that would be pointless. The fact is simple. You haven't seen the movie. A movie so many others are enjoying. People who love Oscar bait type movies AND people who hate anything to do with the Royal family. If you don't want to see it then I think that's your loss, but don't sit there on your highchair and act all astounded by people going to see a great movie that you haven't even seen and have little right to make judgements about concerning overall quality.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 12:43:44 PM »
That's really a thing for you, z? That I will never understand.

Regarding The King's Speech, it doesn't look like my kind of movie, but based on the praise it has received I definitely want to see it. Even if I don't like it at least I will have judged it for myself.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
There are some saying that it is one of those films that has the decorations and themes that appeal to Oscar voters with the implication that it isn't actually a good film that deserves such consideration. I'd take a different approach in saying that while it is a splendid film, there are plenty more films from the year that I'm likely to be still thinking about in a few years than The King's Speech. I have it on my top 10 but have very little interest in watching it ever again. This isn't something I can say about Inception or The Social Network especially and Fish Tank and Winter's Bone to a lesser degree (all of those except Social Network I've seen at least twice now). Or Inglourious Basterds and Ink from last year or Let The Right One In and In Bruges from the year before. Yet those years I was supporting Slumdog Millionaire and The Hurt Locker which now have equally faded for me.

So yeah, there are great one-watch of their moment type of films and there are great again and forever films and arguably the latter ultimately is a better film and The King's Speech is the former.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »
everything about that movie screams pretentiousness and Oscar bait.

You're not wrong, even beyond the trailer. I mostly agree with Bondo, except to the degree that these one off films are successful at all.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »
It's a movie, it must be watched.

And whose to say that pretentious movies can't be enjoyed as much as mindless entertainment?

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »
I think there is a misconception that the academy holds "costume dramas" in a higher regard than it actually does.

I also dont know why any one would try to making Oscar bait. The variety of movies that the award season tends to favor couldnt be more sporadic.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:09:46 PM »
I can understand why someone would watch Transformers 2 (people who like explosions, people who want to switch brain off after work), I can can understand why someone would watch Sex in the City 2 (sad lonely aging women, people dating same) , I can  even understand why someone would watch Avatar the Last Airbender (fans of TV show, Shami fanboys).

But never will I understand how anyone would ever volunteer to watch something like The Kings Speech, everything about that movie screams pretentiousness and Oscar bait.

It's quotes like this that inspire me to check out of these forums during awards season - the term "Oscar bait" being absent from the forums until this year and now all the haters tossing it around like they invented it.
Everything about that quote screams movie snob pretentiousness...
Hey, nice marmot!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 05:35:15 PM »
And even though I've used the term before, it really has little to no value in any discussion. It's just an easy turn to blow off a film as simple pandering instead of thinking about it.

That being said, once I think about it, I still think they are pandering, but I know why i think that and have reasons to support it beyond just a general "It's Oscar bait and hence bad."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
The King's Speech was both hilarious and touching.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »
When I think best picture Oscar it conjures up a certain type of film in my mind, and I don't think I'm alone. Wholesome, accessible, not challenging the traditional storytelling framework, epic... films like Dances With Wolves, Braveheart, Apollo 13. Maybe when people in the Academy go about selecting Best Picture, actor, etc. they can't help buy look back at previous winners as a guideline for what type of film or performance they should pick (maybe this occurs subconsciously). If this is the case "baiting" is worth mentioning (though it still shouldn't mean "of no value", rather of a style that's proven successful at the oscars).

Really though, this stereotype of what an Oscar film is has changed. I don't feel there really is an effective oscar "bait" anymore. Maybe there used to be... and The King's Speech might've been that type of movie, but now it's just a film of a certain style. 

2007: The Departed wins over The Queen and Letters to Iwo Jima
2008: No Country wins over Atonement
2009: Slumdog wins over Frost/Nixon

These decisions, to me, indicate a change.