Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions  (Read 209646 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »
Too much agreement on this thread, glad I posted this here.

People can argue all they want about Oscar bait being some pretentious pseudo category that means nothing, but everyone still instantly knows Oscar bait when they see the trailer.  Oscar bait is movie kitsch, dull and unoriginal but well executed films made to appeal to the award market.   I have zero interest in watching movies like Doubt, The Queen, The Reader, Amelia, or this.  I am still genuinely bewildered why someone would want to watch them.    

I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 05:59:13 PM »
*shrugs*

It just comes off condescending and says nothing about why certain qualities don't merit appreciation. It's screams "my tastes are superior to your tastes" to which I respond *fart noises*.  :)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »
There Will Be Blood is not award bait. It was my favorite movie of 2007. Doubt was, according to you, award bait. It was my favorite film of 2008. Basically, good movies are good, no matter who they're targeting. If that targeting even exists it doesn't undermine the quality of the film.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »
Too much agreement on this thread, glad I posted this here.

People can argue all they want about Oscar bait being some pretentious pseudo category that means nothing, but everyone still instantly knows Oscar bait when they see the trailer.  Oscar bait is movie kitsch, dull and unoriginal but well executed films made to appeal to the award market.   I have zero interest in watching movies like Doubt, The Queen, The Reader, Amelia, or this.  I am still genuinely bewildered why someone would want to watch them.    

Before I write the next line, I just want to make clear that I like you, zarodinu. You watch and review interesting movies and oftentimes I've discovered little gems outside of the mainstreams because, honestly, you reviewed them favourably and I trust your judgement.

Okay, with that out of the way.

Hey, what's up guy? Are you head hunting today or something?...You typically show a bit more tact than that and your above comments today, unless I am missing something (and I hope I am), were decidedly mean spirited. Take a chill pill, man.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:15:50 PM by edgar00 »
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 06:44:11 PM »
re: The King's Speech as Oscar bait

My disinterest in seeing the film stemmed entirely from the synopsis. It really sounded like the typical "man helps another overcome personal adversity" tripe that I don't have much interest in seeing. For me, it was a lot like The Queen, in that it's not something I'd go out of my way to see, but when I did see it, I enjoyed it. I'd agree with Bondo's point that it's generally the kind of film that doesn't stick with me after a few weeks and that I probably wouldn't go out of my way to revisit, mostly because I don't feel like I would gain anything of extra value from it. As for zarodinu, I agree with your general idea (but only as it directly applies to me), just not with the way you worded it.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 08:07:46 PM »
The Oscar Bait line of thinking has always peeved me off. I love The Kite Runner because it is a quality movie, there's no other reason for that, yet so many people scream at it as Oscar Bait. Doubt was an award winning play and a great movie, because they do make movies to be great, not just to be films that win awards at the Oscars. I honestly have little time for people who hide behind the Oscar bait argument, because it's not an actual argument, it's dismissive ignorance in the place of an argument.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »
We've done this before...

I like Sunshine because its a quality movie - doesn't mean its also not Sci-fi.  "Prestige Pictures" or the more derogatory "Oscar Bait" are a type of drama(/dramedy) that is meant be garner award buzz - this is why they are made.  They are released at a certain time of year. Their box office audience depends solely on that buzz spreading. There is an austerity to the acting, directing, writing that is meant to signify the films and/or their subject matter as "important."

Its simple genre theory.  Accept it and move on.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »

I like Sunshine because its a quality movie - doesn't mean its also not Sci-fi.  "Prestige Pictures" or the more derogatory "Oscar Bait" are a type of drama(/dramedy) that is meant be garner award buzz - this is why they are made.  They are released at a certain time of year. Their box office audience depends solely on that buzz spreading. There is an austerity to the acting, directing, writing that is meant to signify the films and/or their subject matter as "important."

And oscar bait can easily transcend the boundaries it gives itself by being really really good.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »

No, I choose not to accept it, move on. Movies are marketed in a certain way, but that has nothing to do with the production of the movie, the direction, the work of the actors, etc. The Oscar bait theory is a bunch of bunk, created by people outside of the movies themselves for some odd reason.

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
I hate knowing names of movies which fall in the supposed category of Oscar Bait. I know not to expect any thing radical in them after that. If I had not known that, I would have probably enjoyed the given film a lot more. I don't know, I might still enjoy The King's Speech but I have heard a fair few people labelling it in ways I wouldn't like a film labelled.