Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions  (Read 209632 times)

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #2110 on: December 29, 2017, 04:17:17 AM »

I'm not sure the film is saying black men shouldn't be in relationships with white women but more that white people still find ways to continue to exploit black people to their benefit.

Just because its primary goal is something entirely different doesn't mean that it negates the secondary effects the film creates by trying to get there. Peele doesn't have to reaffirm conservative notions to get its point across and yet he does.

And besides, the main way the film shows white people exploiting black people is through romantic relationships, which is disconcerting in all of the wrong ways.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:19:50 AM by AliceGuyBlache »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2111 on: December 29, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »

I'm not sure the film is saying black men shouldn't be in relationships with white women but more that white people still find ways to continue to exploit black people to their benefit.

Just because its primary goal is something entirely different doesn't mean that it negates the secondary effects the film creates by trying to get there. Peele doesn't have to reaffirm conservative notions to get its point across and yet he does.

And besides, the main way the film shows white people exploiting black people is through romantic relationships, which is disconcerting in all of the wrong ways.
It is not through romantic relationships, it is through hijacking their bodies, the person inside is still dominated by the white person
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #2112 on: January 02, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »

It is not through romantic relationships, it is through hijacking their bodies, the person inside is still dominated by the white person

And yet the female lead hasn't entrapped men through just kidnapping them, but by romantically entangling them. Why isn't this film just about kidnapping then?

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2113 on: January 02, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
Young Frankenstein

I only laughed once, which isn't really an opinion, I suppose. The blind guy ladling soup was really funny. Nothing else hit for me. The film looks incredible. Mel Brooks is really hit and miss for me.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2114 on: January 02, 2018, 09:41:11 PM »
Young Frankenstein

I only laughed once, which isn't really an opinion, I suppose. The blind guy ladling soup was really funny. Nothing else hit for me. The film looks incredible. Mel Brooks is really hit and miss for me.

I would second this, Blazing Saddles also fell flat for me
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2115 on: January 02, 2018, 09:47:16 PM »
My wife would agree. She loves Spaceballs, but thought BS and YF were lacking.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2116 on: January 02, 2018, 10:01:24 PM »
Maybe I should watch Spaceballs...

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2117 on: January 03, 2018, 07:21:55 AM »
Robin Hood Men In Tights y'all.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2118 on: January 03, 2018, 07:29:41 AM »
I liked the bits with Dave Chappelle.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2119 on: January 03, 2018, 09:01:38 AM »

And yet the female lead hasn't entrapped men through just kidnapping them, but by romantically entangling them. Why isn't this film just about kidnapping then?

I believe you only know how two of the men ended up in their situation. One was kidnapping and one came from a relationship but not for the person that is in the relationship. I don’t think you know how the rest came to be in their situation.

love