Author Topic: Top Five Unappreciated Directors  (Read 4953 times)

killgore

Top Five Unappreciated Directors
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
Five guys (or gals) who have a solid body of work but for some reason they never break above a miniscule fan base,

1. John Dahl -- He's my first. He's made some tremendous western Noirs, such as Kill Me Again, Red Rock West, The Last Subduction, Unforgettable, Rounders and Joy Ride. He has a keen understanding of tension and suspense, as well as plotting but lets the characters control the plot instead of the other way around.

2. David Twohy  -- writer/director who creates these fantastic, low-budget sci-fi films that are so well written and acted, the audience quickly forgets the sometimes underdesigned production art. Check out The Arrival, Pitch Black, Below,

3. Andrew Nicool -- Lord of War, Gattaca and he wrote The Truman Show and the Terminal

4. Alex Proyas  -- The true visionary. Has been astounding us with movies like The Crow, Dark City, I, Robot, Knowing

5. Jean-Pierre Jeunet -- Delicatessen, The City of Lost Children, Amelie, A very Long Engagemnt

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Top Five Unappreciated Directors
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:11:58 PM »
Jeunet is pretty popular.

killgore

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »
he is still under appreciated. Come on, he could use some more love!

DarkCrystal

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:26:13 AM »
David Gordon Green.  Obviously in the indie world, he's a known name, but I've always thought he's been a bit underappreciated in the public eye, and he doesn't seem as talked up enough as other late 90's-00's directors.  Obviously with Pineapple Express he veered into the mainstream more, but his trifecta of:

-George Washington
-All the Real Girls (Zooey Deschanel's vulnerable "fish hook" conversation in bed, one of my favorite acting performances in a scene)
-Undertow

...I feel should be more recognized.  I'll always check out his work and what he's up to; he has a clear vision and style in all his work, and I think he's an underrated gem in the cinema world.  (Confession: haven't seen Snow Angels yet, so no idea how good/bad that might be). 

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:53:14 AM »
Directors from my top 50 that no one else voted for:

1. Ritwik Ghatak (#12)
2. Anh Hung Tran (#24)
3. Alain Resnais (#27)
4. James Lee (#32)
5. Wen Jiang (#35)
6. Mikhail Kalatozov (#36)
7. Stan Brakhage (#40)
8. Nobuhiko Obayashi (#41)
9. Hiroshi Teshigahara (#43)
10. Mohsen Makhmalbaf (#45)
11. Mikio Naruse (#50)

Directors from my top 50 that only one other person voted for:

1. Aki Kaurismaki (#13)
2. Emir Kusturica (#14)
3. Roy Andersson (#23)
4. Victor Erice (#48)

OlympicArtichoke

• "Well, what if the cops can't handle this, Jack?"
    • Olympic Artichoke
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:17:38 AM »
1. Oliver Hirschbiegel
2. Stuart Gordon
3. Franklin J. Schaffner
4. Nicholas Ray
5. Hal Hartley

Some of these have loyal fans (especially the last two), but it's not a HUGE group.

Tempted to put James Foley on the list for After Dark, My Sweet and Glengarry Glen Ross.
"I'm sort of my own Mafia, you know, breaking my own knees" - John Cassavetes

"That's all we do, isn't it - look at things and try new drinks?"

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »
I mean, depending who you ask you'll always hear great things about these guys, but I guess this is just from my experience when talking about films (read as "they don't always get the recognition they deserve")...

1. Peter Weir
This is kind of a cheat because lets face it, this guy is appreciated a lot, but I feel like people tend to forget about him when listing the greats... and he absolutely belongs up there when you look at the overall quality of his films (some he has also had a hand in writing)- Picnic at Hanging Rock, Gallipoli, The Year of Living Dangerously, Witness, Dead Poet's Society, Green Card, Fearless, The Truman Show, Master and Commander, and the upcoming The Way Back.

2. John Schlesinger
An older director who has a fantastic filmography that I don't hear about enough- Billy Liar, Darling, Midnight Cowboy, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Day of the Locust, Marathon Man, and Yanks.

3. Jonathan Demme
How can you not be touched by some of the films this guy has made across many genres- Melvin and Howard, Swing Shift, Swimming to Cambodia, Married to the Mob, The Silence of the Lambs, Philadelphia, The Manchurian Candidate, and Rachel Getting Married.

4. Neil Jordan
Another guy with a great filmography that I rarely hear mentioned- Mona Lisa, We're No Angels, The Crying Game, Interview with the Vampire, Michael Collins, The Butcher Boy, The End of the Affair, The Good Thief, Breakfast on Pluto, The Brave One, and Ondine.

5. Stephen Frears
Pretty much goes along with what I've been saying about the others- Gumshoe, My Beautiful Laundrette, Prick Up Your Ears, Dangerous Liasons, The Grifters, High Fidelity, Dirty Pretty Things, Mrs. Henderson Presents, The Queen, Cheri, and Tamara Drewe.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »
1. Joe Wright - I know you're all sick of me going on and on about the man, but he's directed one of my ten favorite films off all time, and a second film I'd count among the decade's best.  Sure, The Soloist was a misstep, but he has such a firm grasp of the cinema language, an assured and comfortable approach with actors.  I just love the man.  His debut feature lands in my top ten of all time.  That's impressive, especially considering he was adapting my second favorite book of all time.

That's all I got at the moment.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »
1. John Dahl -- He's my first. He's made some tremendous western Noirs, such as Kill Me Again, Red Rock West, The Last Subduction, Unforgettable, Rounders and Joy Ride. He has a keen understanding of tension and suspense, as well as plotting but lets the characters control the plot instead of the other way around.

Yay John Dahl! He directed some of the best episodes of Battlestar Galactica too :)

I gotta say though, I thought The Great Raid was a really awful movie. Haven't seen too many other of his except Rounders (top 20) and You Kill Me (which was fairly enjoyable).

I think I'll always be curious to see a Proyas movie. Didn't much like Dark City or the Crow, and I haven't like his recent stuff that much either, but I like his ambition.

DarkCrystal

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 01:00:33 AM »

Yay John Dahl! He directed some of the best episodes of Battlestar Galactica too :)

I gotta say though, I thought The Great Raid was a really awful movie. Haven't seen too many other of his except Rounders (top 20) and You Kill Me (which was fairly enjoyable).

I think I'll always be curious to see a Proyas movie. Didn't much like Dark City or the Crow, and I haven't like his recent stuff that much either, but I like his ambition.

(nice on the B-Star Galactica shout out!  8))

Curious why you didn't like Dark City?  I don't think it's earned the heaping praise it seems to get as an "incredible" or "amazing" movie that people seem to throw at it, but I'm surprised to hear someone say they found it mediocre or didn't like it.  Not knocking your opinion, I'm genuinely curious why though?  Would make an interesting debate.