Author Topic: Top Five Unappreciated Directors  (Read 4954 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top Five Unappreciated Directors
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 02:19:22 AM »
Two I specifically want to mention

M. Night Shyamalan: Say what you will about the rest of his filmography, not many directors have a troika on the level of The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and The Village.

Makato Shinkai: One of the most promising animation directors out there yet I feel like only ten people have even seen one of his films.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »
Curious why you didn't like Dark City?  I don't think it's earned the heaping praise it seems to get as an "incredible" or "amazing" movie that people seem to throw at it, but I'm surprised to hear someone say they found it mediocre or didn't like it.  Not knocking your opinion, I'm genuinely curious why though?  Would make an interesting debate.

It's been about 10 years so don't hold me to this but I remember feeling the film was rather goofy. Kiefer's mad scientist/igor-like character, the look of the villains... they seemed out of place, like clowns at a funeral or something.

There's really not much else I remember about the film now other than my reaction to it. I should say though, I watched it with pretty high expectations. :-\

DarkCrystal

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
Smirnoff - I know what you mean about the 10 years ago thing; there are a lot of movies I've seen a decade ago, and only one time, and sometimes movies like that I barely trust my own opinions on because it was so long ago and my own tastes and eye for nuances of movies has changed and grown since then. 

Dark City actually went slightly down for me on the rewatch, as I saw some flaws in the writing I was able to overlook on the first viewing.  When you have a movie built on the "the man has no memory, we only know what he knows" concept, I think the second time around when you DO know what's coming is the ultimate test for the movie, and there's some spots that just lag a bit.  That said, it's visually pretty damn stunning, and I have to give credit for Proyas for his modernized Metropolis/Brazil look to the city the movie takes place in.  It's gorgeous to watch.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 12:47:02 PM »
M. Night Shyamalan: Say what you will about the rest of his filmography, not many directors have a troika on the level of The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and The Village.

I'm gonna take this opportunity to give you a high five, because it happens so infrequently. ;D

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
Yay!

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »
It's been about 10 years so don't hold me to this but I remember feeling the film was rather goofy. Kiefer's mad scientist/igor-like character, the look of the villains... they seemed out of place, like clowns at a funeral or something.

I see what your saying Smirnoff, but one of the reasons I love the films so much is because nothing in the film feels like it's in place.    :)
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 12:30:32 AM »
1. John Dahl -- He's my first. He's made some tremendous western Noirs, such as Kill Me Again, Red Rock West, The Last Subduction, Unforgettable, Rounders and Joy Ride. He has a keen understanding of tension and suspense, as well as plotting but lets the characters control the plot instead of the other way around.

Yay John Dahl! He directed some of the best episodes of Battlestar Galactica too :)

I gotta say though, I thought The Great Raid was a really awful movie. Haven't seen too many other of his except Rounders (top 20) and You Kill Me (which was fairly enjoyable).

I think I'll always be curious to see a Proyas movie. Didn't much like Dark City or the Crow, and I haven't like his recent stuff that much either, but I like his ambition.

John Dahl visited a the set of a short film I shot a few years ago and had lunch with me and my camera department.  He was incredibly nice.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

ZBetonte

• Film Jive
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »

I'm gonna take this opportunity to give you a high five, because it happens so infrequently. ;D

I would replace The Village with Signs, but I do like The Village. But I completely agree, I think those three films alone make him a fine director. I think people forget how good those earlier films really are.

DarkCrystal

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 01:58:16 AM »

I would replace The Village with Signs, but I do like The Village. But I completely agree, I think those three films alone make him a fine director. I think people forget how good those earlier films really are.

I'd replace that 3rd slot on M. Night's "best" list with...nothing  ;)

That said, I absolutely adore M. Night Shymalon for his first two films.  I think The Sixth Sense is a near flawlessly put together film, and will always one be one of my top 5-7 movies of the entire 1990's.  The movie's greatness has nothing to do with the twist ending...it is beautiful, dense, layered, emotional, haunting, and I can't help but geek out over some of the restrained editing and framing of shots used in the movie.  I'm thinking about writing a lengthy Blade Runner like essay (as I did in another post) about a scene or two in Sixth Sense.  Unbreakable, while for me has some flaws in the writing, as far as direction/cinematography is stunning.  I think you could use both films as a 101 directing visuals textbook.  

But I don't feel The Village or Signs is anywhere near the same level as those two.  I liked The Village, didn't love it, thought there were some problems with where Shymylon was going with it.  Signs...while it had gorgeous cinematography, IMO was just incredibly disappointing as far as the script (except for a few very beautiful scenes, notably the Gibson/Phoenix talk about god in the middle).  Signs, for me, is where Shymalon's career really took a turn for the worse.

IsabelaOliver

• My Letterboxd
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 04:16:43 PM »
Jeff Nichols - Has a solid filmography and directed one of the best films of this decade (Take Shelter)
Shane Carruth, David Lowery, Steven Knight and Marielle Heller

love