Author Topic: Top Five Unappreciated Directors  (Read 4941 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top Five Unappreciated Directors
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 11:43:46 PM »
Jeff Nichols is a great choice.

dusty bottoms

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »
Hirokazu Kore-eda
Andrew Haigh
Peter Strickland
Ciro Guerra
Ruben Ostlund

[All male I'm afraid]

So add Andrea Arnold, Dee Rees and Kelly Reichardt in for balance.
"Listen up, there's a storm coming.......... like nothing you've ever seen.......... and not a one of you.......... is prepared for it"

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »
This is always the problem with "underrated" and its variations, but how can Koreeda, who won the Palme d'Or last year, possibly qualify ? Same with Ruben Ístlund who won the Palme with The Square. The others are all critically acclaimed as well, but maybe not recognized as much by awards... though didn't Embrace of the Serpent win Foreign Film ?

Haigh and Strickland seem like strong picks though. I haven't seen anything by Strickland but I've heard good things about his films, and they're not often mentioned among the best directors currently working. Dee Rees also fits there, but I feel like Andrea Arnold and Kelly Reichardt get plenty of recognition - from critics anyway.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 09:40:38 AM »
Andrew Haigh is a great pick, with three films so diverse - Weekend, 45 Years, Lean on Pete - I never connected they were the same director.

Peter Strickland is someone I keep to myself about because I haven't connected to his films yet, especially Berberian Sound Studio, which seemed like an easy win for my tastes.

As for Ciro Guerra, I'm going to watch Embrace of the Serpent soon.

love