Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 15854 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
Yeah there did seem to be a really obvious answer but it did give the guy time to flick Watsons face a lot. That was pretty terrific stuff. Plus all the insults against the UK like the Petri dish comment. And google glasses! Lovely sleight of hand. I usually find this series unstimulating outside the stellar acting.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »
Agree with goodguy's point, and it made me despise the way the direction cheated with so much emphasis on the glasses. I think that's the first time a plausible idea was revealed to be a "mind palace" trick.

Did I miss something in the previous 2 Series about Mycroft being Sherlock's equal and sometimes superior in terms of deduction? One of the greatest strengths of Sherlock is his supernatural ability with deductive reasoning, yet in this episode no less than 3 other people turn out to be equally skilled.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:37:17 AM by 1SO »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »
Mycroft has usually been portrayed as smarter than Sherlock, in film and TV, it is just that Mycroft takes his in a different direction. That is how Conan Doyle wrote him. I am fairly sure in both the first two series Mycroft is referred to as Sherlock's superior. Also Moriarty has always been portrayed as Sherlock's equal. I have yet to watch series 3.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 12:44:19 AM »
Finally got the time to watch His Last Vow again. Love the sequence immediately following the shooting as he mind palaces through his predicament. Also, the confrontation behind the facade and back at Baker Street may be the finest acting yet from Cumberbatch and Freeman. This time I noticed that scene mirrors the earlier girlfriend scene where Sherlock is trying to focus on the case and Watson is too distracted by personal issues to pay attention.

On the negative, I really hate this Magnussen character. It's in the writing. He is so confident in his power position that he does physically ugly things to his enemies. These moments took evil into ridiculous corners. Licking, peeing, face flicking, even eating the olive from Sherlock's pasta, all of them had me going "dumb". I wanted to be done with him. Also, it doesn't make sense that when Magnussen shows up at Baker St. there are two bodyguards who first frisk our heroes, yet even this minimal level of security is absent at the end.

Kind of a cool note, I noticed Mycroft's line this time tying in James Bond where he mentions a co-worker who believes in occasionally using "a blunt instrument."
RATING: * * * 1/2

UPDATED RANKINGS:
1. A Scandal in Belgravia
2. The Great Game
3. The Reichenbach Fall
4. A Study in Pink

5. His Last Vow
6. The Sign of Three
7. The Blind Banker

8. The Hounds of Baskerville
9. The Empty Hearse
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:47:26 PM by 1SO »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
I haven't watched the other two this season yet.  That's how much I hated The Empty Hearse.  I'll probably get to them eventually, but I'll wait for DVD (which has the added bonus of subtitles).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »
Martin, it's getting kind of remarkable how much are tastes are starting to match up compared to before. The Empty Hears nearly killed Sherlock for me, but it crawled back to where I'm now hopeful for next season. (Of course it depends on who are the writers and directors.)

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 10:57:01 PM »
On the negative, I really hate this Magnussen character. It's in the writing. He is so confident in his power position that he does physically ugly things to his enemies. These moments took evil into ridiculous corners. Licking, peeing, face flicking, even eating the olive from Sherlock's pasta, all of them had me going "dumb". …

Say what you will about him, he owns some amazing glassware. Any tips on where I can get some of these tumblers would be appreciated.

My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »
9.) The Empty Hearse
8.) The Blind Banker
7.) The Hounds of Baskerville
6.) His Last Vow
5.) A Study in Pink
4.) The Sign of Three
3.) The Great Game
2.) The Reichenbach Fall
1.) A Scandal in Belgravia

Fun.

...for days.

Any tips on where I can get some of these tumblers would be appreciated.

Mind Palace & Novelties?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »
Fun.

...for days.

:D

I missed this! Now if someone would just photo shop him into this scene, the list would be complete.

love