Author Topic: Blue Valentine & Two for the Road  (Read 3398 times)

jbadham

Blue Valentine & Two for the Road
« on: January 13, 2011, 02:43:04 PM »
You commented in your review of Blue Valentine that you didn't know of another film that traced the build and the destruction of a relationship interwoven.
It reminded me of Stanley Donen's Two For The Road  the 1967 film with Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn that does just that.  It's also the first appearance of Jaqueline Bisset  in films.

'The ten-year marriage of Mark and Joanna Wallace is on the rocks. In flashback they recall their first meeting, memorable moments in their courtship and early wedded life, their travels through Europe, their broken vow never to have children, and their increasing tensions that led to both of them having extra-marital affairs." Written by filmfactsman

None of this takes away from Blue Valentine of course.

Thanks for your great show.  I listen to you regularly and love to hear your opinions on films.

John Badham

Totoro

Re: Blue Valentine & Two for the Road
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:32:26 AM »
Two for the Road is a bazillion times better than Blue Valentine and one of the most underrated films of all time. I doubt I will ever fine a better movie about relationships ever. Audrey Hepburn's best performance. Stanley Donen's masterpiece. I can't say enough about it. SEE IT.

etopp

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
"Two for the Road" - great film.

Hepburn + Finney + Donen = "Rent it!"

brianivory

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 02:31:41 PM »
Yes, this for me is a terrific movie bouncing between romantic beginnings to destructive endings. My wife does not like where the movie ends up, she finds it depressing. But I love its bittersweet tone and that some things in life (especially relationships) may not last.

love