Author Topic: Koyaanisqatsi?  (Read 2606 times)

Bluesyncopate

Re: Koyaanisqatsi?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 04:52:30 PM »
Koyaanisqatsi is the only film of the trilogy I will show to non-cinephiles; the long opening sequence in Powaqqatsi tends to put them to sleep. Personally, I might watch that sequence on repeat as part of an art gallery show, but as home cinema it requires a "specific mood", and I'm rarely in it. As for the third film... I have to admit I only saw it once, and it didn't leave much of an impression. I remember lots of stock war footage. It seemed didactic.

Koyaanisqatsi is a visual tone poem, and it can change the way you see the world. It's perfectly balanced between connection and detachment to nature and humanity. Best case scenario, it allows its viewers to feel like alien anthropologists. Nothing like a little defamiliarization to see the the world, and other people, more clearly and with a little more empathy.

Still have not seen Baraka, but mean to correct that one of these days.

forgetfulfilmcritic

• The Forgetful Film Critic
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 11:29:16 PM »
You hit the nail on the head, Bluesyncopate. I just listened to the episode of Filmspotting where the top 5 was "movies you'd show an aliens to teach them about humans." My immediate reaction was, "The qatsi Trilogy!"

Also, that opening sequence of Powaqqatsi is my favorite of the whole trilogy. It's absolutely mesmerizing.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 12:59:48 AM »
You really must, must see Baraka.  The follow-up Samsara is quite good as well.

forgetfulfilmcritic

• The Forgetful Film Critic
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 07:31:50 AM »
Duely noted!  :D

love