Author Topic: Pixar Appreciation Thread  (Read 29167 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Pixar Appreciation Thread
« Reply #410 on: June 27, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »
That's the story I've been waiting for. I've been dreading it, but there's the proof. Sad to read.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 07:31:26 PM by 1SO »

matbezlima

« Reply #411 on: June 28, 2018, 08:26:09 PM »
 I really liked this movie. Under more serious scrutiny, it has some significant flaws (some narrative choices are not bad, but some people may be unhappy because they wanted another path to the story, it is impossible to please everyone, the plotlines don't tie together to a richer whole that well and the movie lacks coesion in its many themes, being often incoherent, messy, unorganic and unsubtle about them, its big themes feeling often thrown away and expositive, with the characters literally stopping to talk philosophically about the themes too often, unlike the first, that incorporated all its theme effortlessly in the story), but, personallly, they aren't really compromissing of my overall enjoyment of this very good, delightful and worthy sequel, tough I understand why maybe it would be so much the case with a few people. The movie's flaws are nowhere as bad as the reviews by Big Joe and, specially, YourMovieSucks. I did not feel that this movie was a rehash as a few people said, aside from the role reversal, things are very different in how this movie handle Bob and Helen's characters to really not feel as a rehash at all, for me. Definitely very far from the blatant rip-off that was The Force Awakens, tough Incredibles 2 could be less safe still. I will, maybe, later write a review detailing this movie, the arguments said by the few really negative reviewers and why I don't think that the flaws in the story are even 10 percent as bad or compromissing to the compelling, entertaining and joy that is this movie that some reviewers make it seem, I think that this movie's biggest flaw is being a sequel to The Incredibles and a Pixar movie, so we expect a masterpiece from them, so even a very good, but with some notorious flaws, movie can seem disappointing, what would not happen if this was released even by Disney, whose best movies in this decade still don't come close to Pixar peak level. Critics would be more willing to forgive the flaws if it was by any other studio Besides Pixar. Still, Incredibles 2 is by far Pixar's most acclaimed sequel besides Toy Story sequels. 

Overall, great time in the theater and our dream for a sequel came true. Not disappoint and it does not feel as cash grab, much because they took so long to do it and also because this sequel was hugely demanded and wanted, unlike other Pixar sequels. 

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #412 on: June 28, 2018, 10:49:58 PM »
some narrative choices are not bad, but some people may be unhappy because they wanted another path to the story, it is impossible to please everyone
That's a given and never necessary when telling us Your opinion on a movie. For example, I didn't like the film first time I saw it. Is it because I wanted another path? I wanted less of a retread, but it would've been fine if this path was told nearly as well as the first time around.

the movie lacks coesion in its many themes, being often incoherent, messy, unorganic and unsubtle about them, its big themes feeling often thrown away and expositive, with the characters literally stopping to talk philosophically about the themes too often, unlike the first, that incorporated all its theme effortlessly in the story),
I agree with all of this.

The movie's flaws are nowhere as bad as the reviews by Big Joe and, specially, YourMovieSucks.
I don't read either of these, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that YourMovieSucks makes its reputation by not liking a movie, so for them the more things they can call 'flaws', the better.

I did not feel that this movie was a rehash as a few people said, aside from the role reversal, things are very different in how this movie handle Bob and Helen's characters to really not feel as a rehash at all, for me. Definitely very far from the blatant rip-off that was The Force Awakens, tough Incredibles 2 could be less safe still.
It is and it isn't. The spine of the film hits many of the same beats, but by switching who does what it changes what happens to the characters within these situations. I don't like that there's a sliding scale of the amount one film rips off another (which I'm sure has John Carter ripoffs like Avatar and Pocahontas at the top.) I've watched Force and I2 and both times when the story was working I was less aware of how much it copied the previous film.

I think that this movie's biggest flaw is being a sequel to The Incredibles and a Pixar movie, so we expect a masterpiece from them, so even a very good, but with some notorious flaws, movie can seem disappointing,
My theory is this is what led to my first reaction. I'm still not a fan of the sequel, but it's fine.

what would not happen if this was released even by Disney, whose best movies in this decade still don't come close to Pixar peak level.
Wreck-It Ralph says you're wrong here.

Critics would be more willing to forgive the flaws if it was by any other studio Besides Pixar.
80 on Metacritic. 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics love Pixar. I think you're referring to trolls with blogs.

Still, Incredibles 2 is by far Pixar's most acclaimed sequel besides Toy Story sequels.
Beating some weak competition.

matbezlima

« Reply #413 on: June 29, 2018, 03:52:14 AM »
Wreck-It Ralph is very good, but I think that Zootopia was Disney's truly great movie in this decade, I love Zootopia

matbezlima

« Reply #414 on: June 29, 2018, 05:08:42 AM »
1SO, you wrote interesting things and I pretend to write someday a text here explaining what I think of the interesting points that you made.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #415 on: June 29, 2018, 09:06:55 AM »
Wreck-It Ralph is very good, but I think that Zootopia was Disney's truly great movie in this decade, I love Zootopia
Love Zootopia. Pixar has reached a point - 20 features - where I would put Zootopia and Ralph above half of their movies.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #416 on: December 05, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
Because this is the official end of the John Lasseter era - the jerk - I've set up a mini-marathon with Mrs. 1SO of all his work. Two thoughts I've had so far.

1. Bolt contains story elements that would appear later in Toy Story 3 and Big Hero 6.

2. When Walt Disney passed away, there was a tremendous dip in quality at the Studio because there was nobody to replace him. As much as Disney tried to make Lasseter the face of the company, there are a number of equally talented people to pick up the slack. (And with that thought, I have to imagine the number of animators, especially females, who didn't get the opportunity to join the ranks of Stanton and Docter because of the environment created by Lasseter.) Lasseter was the Chief Creative Officer, both in title and literally, but Pixar and Disney Animation are in good hands and will not go to pieces without him.