Author Topic: Movie Lists  (Read 55840 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Movie Lists
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »
This list makes perfect sense, considering Quentin Tarantino's awful taste in movies. Oh, sorry, "eclectic." He has...eclectic...taste in movies.

It's pretty amazing his taste can be so awful yet he can still make such great films.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2012, 08:30:34 AM »
This list makes perfect sense, considering Quentin Tarantino's awful taste in movies. Oh, sorry, "eclectic." He has...eclectic...taste in movies.

It's pretty amazing his taste can be so awful yet he can still make such great films.

What is wrong with his tastes?  Is it the movies he loves or hates?  At least for what he loves, it seems to be a bit of everything that would fall on a best of list if you were to randomly take 3 or 4 samples from critics.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2012, 08:59:04 AM »

What is wrong with his tastes?  Is it the movies he loves or hates?  At least for what he loves, it seems to be a bit of everything that would fall on a best of list if you were to randomly take 3 or 4 samples from critics.

Except The Three Musketeers. I've yet to see that make anyone's top ten list.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »
I've seen The Three Musketeers in a few top 10's. Paul W.S. Anderson has a few critical champions.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »
I'm more concerned with the "others considered" section. I mean Hangover, Part II...ouch.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2012, 09:15:50 AM »
QT is a lover of movies. You're all just a bunch of crabs on the internet.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2012, 09:23:30 AM »
I'm more concerned with the "others considered" section. I mean Hangover, Part II...ouch.

The beauty of it is that Tree of Life is the one mention above:)

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »
I actually only take issue with the films he didn't like- Drive, Hanna, Meek's Cutoff.

The only ones he liked that I disliked would be Red State, Green Lantern, The Green Hornet, and Captain America.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
The 2012 Sight and Sound greatest films poll will come out later this year, and just in case S & S takes down the directors' and critics' ballots for the 2002 poll, if any of you are interested, you should check out the ballots now (for fun or reference):

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/polls/topten/poll/list.php?list=voters&votertype=director

and

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/polls/topten/poll/list.php?list=voters&votertype=critic
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
My favorite of those is Michael Mann's. He actually gives explanations for everything. My other favorite is Bruce LaBruce's, mainly cuz of this:

"The Bellboy (Lewis)
Monsieur Lewis' directorial debut, comprised mostly of sight gags and slapstick purloined from the silent era, achieves postmodern complexity before the term existed."

love