Author Topic: Movie Lists  (Read 55798 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Movie Lists
« Reply #220 on: June 13, 2017, 05:06:18 PM »
The 40-Year-Old Virgin>There Will Be Blood.

I think I agree, and I'm not even a huge fan. If it had a more traditional score I think most people would consider There Will Be Blood to be pretty good, not great. Which is fine, the score is a vital element of any film, but I think it does a lot of heavy lifting in TWBB.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #221 on: June 13, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »
Sean made a good Top 25 films of the 21st century list.

Here's my problem...
For the past few years, when one of these comes out I get annoyed that mainstream critics’ list don’t contain enough Chinese films, and that the ones they do list are the most boring, obvious choices.

This is a terrible place to start from because you're already discounting the list on a personal bias. For those that don't know Sean he was one of the most persuasive writers on the Boards and if you are a regular reader on his website, which I am, he remains a persuasive voice even though I can find some of his reasoning frustrating. For a list like this to have weight, a person must step outside of themselves and avoid filling a quota. A great movie is a great movie and great movies don't require a certain amount of geography or gender.

2007 was may favorite year this decade, yet only two films make my Top 25 of the Century. My list contains no Horror films even though I am clearly a big fan of the genre, and while 8 Animated films seems a bit much, two are by Hayao Miyazaki and I've thoroughly defended my position on Pixar's run from 2003 - 2010 as an anomaly created by a unique combination of talent.

I would rather read a list by Sean of the 25 Best Chinese Films of the 21st Century. So much more of a positive approach and a list I would take as coming from an authority. Heck, I'd probably Marathon the list.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #222 on: June 13, 2017, 11:47:09 PM »
I would rather read a list by Sean of the 25 Best Chinese Films of the 21st Century. So much more of a positive approach and a list I would take as coming from an authority. Heck, I'd probably Marathon the list.

You can marathon from this:
https://theendofcinema.net/2017/02/15/150-of-the-best-chinese-language-films-of-all-time/

:)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »
Sean made a good Top 25 films of the 21st century list.

Here's my problem...
For the past few years, when one of these comes out I get annoyed that mainstream critics’ list don’t contain enough Chinese films, and that the ones they do list are the most boring, obvious choices.

This is a terrible place to start from because you're already discounting the list on a personal bias. For those that don't know Sean he was one of the most persuasive writers on the Boards and if you are a regular reader on his website, which I am, he remains a persuasive voice even though I can find some of his reasoning frustrating. For a list like this to have weight, a person must step outside of themselves and avoid filling a quota. A great movie is a great movie and great movies don't require a certain amount of geography or gender.

2007 was may favorite year this decade, yet only two films make my Top 25 of the Century. My list contains no Horror films even though I am clearly a big fan of the genre, and while 8 Animated films seems a bit much, two are by Hayao Miyazaki and I've thoroughly defended my position on Pixar's run from 2003 - 2010 as an anomaly created by a unique combination of talent.

I would rather read a list by Sean of the 25 Best Chinese Films of the 21st Century. So much more of a positive approach and a list I would take as coming from an, authority. Heck, I'd probably Marathon the list.

I did that last year, as linked in the passage you quoted: https://theendofcinema.net/2016/06/10/the-50-best-chinese-language-films-of-the-21st-century/
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
Oh yeah. Thanks for jogging my memory. I remember reading this. I especially like that you include ALSOs from the directors, which is where I'm getting a lot of my recommendations for Chinese directors in my Director Marathon.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:08:58 PM by 1SO »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »
The 35 best science-fiction movies since Blade Runner

Nothing too surprising. I don't disagree with their #1 choice. I really expected the bloom to be off the Matrix rose by now, but I guess people still love it. Most egregious omissions IMHO:

Serenity
Solaris (Soderbergh)
Midnight Special
About Time
Never Let Me Go

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »
How is About Time science fiction? Surely it should count as fantasy.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #227 on: October 05, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »
I don't know what kind of pedantic distinction you plan to make here, but to most people a movie about time travel is well within the realm of "science fiction".

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #228 on: October 05, 2017, 11:38:51 AM »
Mostly relieved they didn't include Gravity (which I like a lot but isn't science-fiction).
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #229 on: October 05, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
Both About Time and Gravity are science fiction.  I'd certainly include Gravity over Dune or Edge of Tomorrow.

I can see DH's point concerning About Time because it's a romance and it uses the time travel as a premise without explanation, like a fantasy, but it is just where fantasy and science fiction converge, as they often do.   It's like having a ghost story that isn't scary be included as a horror movie.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky