Author Topic: "The Stoning of Soraya M."  (Read 484 times)

keith71_98

• Keith & the Movies
"The Stoning of Soraya M."
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:53:48 PM »
I have to say I loved this picture and was curious about other's thoughts on it. Here's my take:

Heart wrenching and thought-provoking. "The Stoning of Soraya M." is both beautiful and brutal, tender and tragic. Some may view this movie as overly dramatic or preachy but I felt it was a painful but enlightening look into some of Islamic law's unjust and disturbing practices specifically it's degradation of women at that time. Intense performances, great cinematography, and solid pacing help guide the story to it's inevitable ending.

Yes, the film does have an intended message but it delivers it in an effective and powerful way. As the title hints, there is a bloody, graphic scene that is very hard to watch due to both it's brutality and because Soraya is a character that's easy to emotionally invest in. This is a powerful and moving picture. It's tough to watch as the film progresses to it's inescapable conclusion. But by the end of the film I knew I had watched something that would stick with me for a long time.

Visit my Keith & the Movies site -
http://keithandthemovies.com/