love

Author Topic: February 2011 MDC: Filmspots 2 Write Ups  (Read 11364 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: February 2011 MDC: Filmspots 2 Write Ups
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »
One can conclude by saying he or she ‘liked it’ or ‘did not like it’, but for a movie such as this one, that really is only telling half the story. I ‘experienced’ Enter the Void and survived. I am sure you can as well.

A victory for skjerva!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
That was a beautiful review. The clearest write up for that polarizing film. I agree with it all.

JokerXgg

• I'm the best mang, I diiiid it
    • Kaboochi
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »
MacGruber

You know that SNL skit that no one thought was funny? Well...

Im glad this is exactly how you felt Bondo... I thought exactly the same when i first saw the film. Great review!

My signature is such beauty

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
Heh, kind of fun trashing a dictation and having that be the desired result for the dictator. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 12:18:47 AM »
That was a beautiful review. The clearest write up for that polarizing film. I agree with it all.

I said much the same in my review of Enter the Void, except you got to the point perfectly in your two words: style and substance.  The point of my review was that I think that for the most part, "style over substance" characterizes most of the films of 2010.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2011, 07:56:54 PM »
Very nice review edgar, I saw it on the big screen and "the experience" of it was the majority of what made me love that film.

Four Lions
Looking at the filmspot FYC topic for best line, this film has as much nominations as The Social Network, more than any other films that year. If that doesn't say something about how hilarious this script is I don't know what does. These incompetent criminals are some of the funniest idiots I've seen since Dumb and Dumber. The subject matter is touchy but is tackled with enough ridiculousness that it never comes off as offensive. I could just spend time listing scenes that I loved: The "fake" suicide bomber's rap, the bazooka, bottles of bleach, the marathon, sniper/wookie/bear. All are just hilarious. The more time passes the more I think of things to like in this film. I think it is somewhat structurally flawed in that most of the plot can be seen as an excuse to set-up the hilarious situations. They didn't need to got o this training camp but it makes for great comedy when these idiots are put there.
Great dictation, I'll even go as far as to say it's on par with In the Loop, possibly better.

JokerXgg

• I'm the best mang, I diiiid it
    • Kaboochi
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 01:53:16 AM »
Sorry for the late write-up! Midterms have been pretty much ruling my life!

A Prophet

What a great little film. I heard about this film through various movie sites but never bothered to actually check it out, boy was I taken aback.The film is basically a guy by the name of Malik with Arab decent and his rise through the prison system to become a big boss.When I first read the synopsis of this film to have an idea of what i was going to watch, I was a bit disappointed because it sounded a lot like many other films I've seen (I'm looking at you Scarface). The first thing that i can state about this film is that it clearly stands on its own.

The acting was extraordinary, even though I didn't recognize any of the actors. I loved how intense Niels Arestrup was throughout his whole role in the film. He controlled everyone and everything even though after maybe 30 minutes into the film he lost most of his "gang". I love the way the prison system was portrayed in this film. The prison guards did nothing throughout the movie, even when people were beat up and murdered. They pretty much just went on with their days. Maybe it was a way for Director Jacques Audiard to tell us how corrupted our prison systems are today.

One of the main things that I want to point out in the movie is the various changes in languages. I loved how it jumped from Arabic to French, and this is important because in my opinion it shows the rift in Malik's controversial lifestyle. By the rift, I'm talking about how Malik, even though Arab and most likely Muslim as well, chooses to work for the Corsicans instead. He is hated by both sides (Arabs and Corsicans) but he sticks with his plan. Because of this, you can't help but feel that he is up to something all along. The character Malik is also portrayed as someone with street smarts. We don't really know why he is in prison to began with, but we know that he cannot read nor write. Even though he is illiterate, he is able to come up with various plans and strategies to succeed and become the "boss" in the prison.  I love how the director is able to portray Malik as the hero of the film, even though when you really think about it, in the first 10 minutes he commits murder in a cell. I love that the director also gave Malik a conscience, making the guy who he murder keep reappearing in his cell, and giving him advice on what to do. I thought it was quite humorous when Malik is appalled by the smoking coming out of the guys slit throat. 

All in all, I really liked this film. I'm really glad I was able to watch it for my Movie dicatorship for March.

7/10

My signature is such beauty

joem18b

• Godfather
    • does writing excuse watching?
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »
I was dictated "The Secret of Kells" by Ideathy. Thanks, Ideathy! I liked it.

Some thoughts on the movie here.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:37:13 PM by joem18b »

love