Author Topic: Top 5 Animated Films  (Read 13128 times)

With fronds like these...

• I'm on Twitter...
Re: Top 5 Animated Films
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 09:29:39 AM »
er, Finding Nemo.

Plus...

Spirited Away
Grave of The Fireflies
Wallace & Gromit - The Wrong Trousers
Toy Story (all of them, but esp. 3)
The Creature Comforts series of shorts by Aardman (makers of W&G)

Mr Dickinson

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 06:04:56 PM »
The Jungle Book - will always be my favourite classic disney
Grave Of The Fireflies
Wall-E
Robin Hood
Spirited Away

kinski12

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
1. Spirited Away
2. Finding Nemo
3. The Incredibles
4. Castle of Cogliostro
5. Princess Mononoke

with Pixar and Miyazaki, there's no room for anything else.

Need to See:
Akira, Grave of the Fireflys, everything that Satoshi Kon has done

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 04:45:07 AM »
Five animated movies I loved in no particular order. (And I too adore Wallace and Gromit but In the wrong pants is a short film and this list contains full length movies.)

Spirited Away
Chicken Run
The Iron Giant
Antz
Ratatouille

I'm surprised noone else has picked Antz so far. I thuoght it was absolutely lovely (but then I'm such a Woddy Allen fangirl)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:48:01 AM by Lobby »
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »
I'm surprised noone else has picked Antz so far. I thuoght it was absolutely lovely (but then I'm such a Woddy Allen fangirl)

A lot of people here - most in fact - believe that there are at least 5 Pixar and/or Hayao Miyazaki films better than the best of Dreamworks.

kinski12

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2032304_2032746_2035980,00.html

nice, succinct article comparing the merits of dreamworks and pixar

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 12:48:24 PM »
I had no idea of this competition situation! So you're supposed to pick a favorite of those companies? Like either you're an Elvis  fan or you like Tommy Steele? Or Beatles vs Rolling Stones?

It feels a bit silly. I don't care about who's made it. A good movie is a good movie. And yes, I liked Shrek too. And I loved Toy Story as well. Regardless of who made it. They're both strong competitors for the top-five list. Oh and Nemo. Loved that one.

I really enjoy animated movie's so it was quite hard to pick a top five to be honest. There are a few good Disney movies that are competing as well. Lion King was pretty awesome for instance, mostly thanks to the music that is awesome. But well.. you can't cheat and you have to pick five, so this was my pick...

The howling castle was definitely a strong candidate too. I'm kind of fascinated by the different way of story telling that the anime movies offer.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:39:45 PM by Lobby »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
You should check out some Satoshi Kon if you have not already  :)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 03:53:02 PM »
I had no idea of this competition situation! So you're supposed to pick a favorite of those companies? Like either you're an Elvis  fan or you like Tommy Steele? Or Beatles vs Rolling Stones?

It feels a bit silly. I don't care about who's made it. A good movie is a good movie. And yes, I liked Shrek too. And I loved Toy Story as well. Regardless of who made it. They're both strong competitors for the top-five list. Oh and Nemo. Loved that one.

I'm not one of the people who views that as a competition. Both companies have their share of good-great movies, so does Disney, and Ghibli has the best track record of any animated company out there. Quality wise I do think Pixar is leagues above Dreamworks (so is Disney for that matter, while Ghibli is just above those two), but at the end of the day Dreamworks has made some good movies, so it's not really a competition for me.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
@Bill Thompson: Fair enough. I've only seen Spirited away and The Howling Castle from Ghibli so I have yet many movies to see. I loved both but I wanted my top-five to consist of a variety of animated movies, so I picked one of them.

To be honest I'm so clueless that I'd never heard of Ghibli. It was only now that you mentioned it that I looked it up and realized the amount of movies they've made. Awesome! The Filmspotting forum really seems to be the right place to visit if you need inspiration about what to see next. I'm so glad I found you. :)