love

Author Topic: Top 5 Favorite Pixar Films  (Read 6326 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Top 5 Favorite Pixar Films
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
"Valuing life is not weakness. And disregarding it is not strength."

Unless you're the CEO of a successful corporation.

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »

...Pixar has made so many movies without the need for a typical antagonizing force. For example, Ratatouille has 2 villains, yet neither of them are as great an obstacle as Remy's physical limitations. His journey isn't about defeating the bad guy, but once he grows and matures as a person, his victory over Skinner and Ego becomes quite easy. Like in The Matrix, he doesn't dodge bullets because when the time comes, he doesn't have to.

I like this.  A lot.

Indeed. Maybe my favourite analysis of Ratatouille I've read yet.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2023, 08:49:24 PM »
With the release of Elemental it seems Pixar best lists are being refreshed.

Techradar Ranked Pixar films

I do not agree with their list (Inside Out and Wall-e did not do it for me), but thought I would throw this out there to see what happens.

I noticed I do not have a list in this thread, I will see Elemental and put together a list.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2023, 10:54:41 PM »
Mrs. 1SO and I did a nearly complete rewatch of Pixar in the past month. (No Cars sequels, Brave or Luca.) The revised list is on Letterboxd. The biggest positive surprise was Monsters Inc., which I had been underestimating against the rest. Fast-paced screwball madness. The biggest negative was Wall-E. I can see that it's a Great film, but I don't connect with it anymore.

I keep expecting Lightyear to not hold up under constant rewatches, but it did not deserve the loud shrug it got during release. Onward also improves with rewatches. May be my favorite Chris Pratt performance. There are 2 lousy scenes right at the start - the fast food breakfast and the class scene - that hold it back.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2023, 06:20:09 AM »
I still have not seen Elemental, but here is my list of Pixar feature films ranked, except for A Bug's Life, which I cannot remember enough of. I am sure my bottom picks will be contoversial, but such is life.

1   Coco
2   Toy Story
3   Ratatouille
4   Finding Dory
5   Toy Story 2
6   Turning Red
7   Soul
8   Toy Story 3
9   Brave
10   The Incredibles
11   Monsters, Inc.
12   Toy Story 4
13   Cars
14   Incredibles 2
15   Up
16   Luca
17   Cars 2
18   Lightyear
19   Onward
20   Monststers University
21   The Good Dinosaur
22   Cars 3
23   Wall-E
24   Inside Out
25   Finding Nemo

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2023, 09:33:23 AM »
I am sure my bottom picks will be contoversial, but such is life.
Everything below Cars 2 comes off as spite, but the real WTF is the placement of Dory. Putting it above Nemo is something I thought nobody would do, but putting it so high above just leaves me confused.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2023, 05:49:37 PM »
I actually enjoyed Cars 2, which may be a reflection from my kids who I watched it with, but also I liked the spy story in the film. Finding Nemo bugged me, the only thing I liked in the movie was the seaguls going mate. Where as Dory I just enjoyed, it may have been boosted by very low expectations given how much did not like Finding Nemo. Inside Out bored me. I love the beginning of Wall-E, but then Wall-E goes into space and the film tanks. So perhaps that could be a little higher, but I am penalising it for starting so well and finishing so badly.

love