Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Cinematographers  (Read 18599 times)

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Cinematographers
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »
50 sounds much more manageable. Should we have a broader nominations list that people can take a gander at to try to familiarize themselves with unfamiliar work before casting their ballot? (People=me.)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »
That was one of my plans, actually. A For Your Consideration thread of Cinematographers much like the Filmspots.

lifeoffiction

• Flixster
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »
I could see Kurosawa and Malick films completely dominating this list, which is anything but a bad thing.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »
Maybe their cinematographers. However, I think there are a good number that could give them a run for their money.

Also, I'm thinking about kicking off some buzz for this soon, unless it would conflict with another major thing...maybe the top 100.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
Also, I'm thinking about kicking off some buzz for this soon, unless it would conflict with another major thing...maybe the top 100.

Top 100 Animation would typically be kicking off in June...don't know if we feel like we need another of those this year or not.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »

Top 100 Animation would typically be kicking off in June...don't know if we feel like we need another of those this year or not.

I planned on it being a bi-yearly thing when I first came up with the idea. But, so many people pushed for me to do it two years in a row that I went with the flow. This year life has been so busy that I decided to take a break from the list, but it will be back next year.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
We could do other kinds of lists. By Genre or Country for example. It would be another way to make people watch films they wouldn't normally watch.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »
Far East bracket is ready and waiting.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »
Unless they're are any objections, I think I'm going to start pushing for this in early June, with Ballots being due in mid to late July.

The list will be split into two sections, Top 50 Cinematographers and Top 50 Visually Striking Films.

My game plan is this: I'm going to spend the next few days gathering a list of Cinematographers from my own brain, IMDb, the internet and the filmspotting community and then make some kind of megathread For Your Consideration post to help filmspotters make their lists.

So what I need from you guys is to PM me a list of cinematographers you want people to consider. I'll probably hit a lot of the highlights and I'll probably PM a good number of people before I post the list so I don't have any glaring omissions.

For the Film side of the list, I think it best to leave it open to all films by simply denoting it as films you perceive as visually strong.  This means you can vote for animated films. There won't be any kind of FYC for this because I'm trusting we all know well enough what films we perceive to be the most visually appealing to us.

Also, it almost goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, you're free to participate in either one part or both of these lists (or not at all if you want to be a sourpuss). So don't feel the need to abstain just because you don't feel like making one of these lists.

Sound good, everyone?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2011, 03:14:27 PM »
Hmm.  I can come up with a list of great cinematographers, but I'd have a hell of a time trying to rank them.