Would you participate in this?

Yes
16 (94.1%)
No
0 (0%)
Maybe
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: MDC-ish idea "List of Shame"  (Read 7399 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
MDC-ish idea "List of Shame"
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:42:55 AM »
I want to gauge Filmspotter interest in a thread idea.  This started on another forum I frequent, and it's had some great results, people really seem to get into it.

How it works is like this:

1) One person starts off with a "List of Shame": 10 movies that they know they should have seen but never gotten around to.
2) The next person picks one of those 10 films that the first person HAS to watch.
3) In the same post, that person posts his own List of Shame.

...and it continues like that, with each participant dictating a film for the previous poster to watch from their list.  After you've watched the film dictated to you, you make a new post that:

1) Includes your review of the film dictated to you
2) Dictates a film to the previous poster
3) Updates your List of Shame, with a new entry replacing the one you just watched.

Basically, it's an ongoing, daisy-chain Movie Dictator Club.  You can see the thread where I stole this idea here.  Probably best to skip past the first several pages so you see what it's like once people start reviewing their dictations.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: MDC-ish idea "List of Shame"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:03:19 AM »
I think this is a good idea, I would suggest having a separate thread for reveiws, then the person can just link to their review when they post their new list of shame, then they can have a linked list of completed films as well as the ongoing "List of Shame"

Also I think that there really shouldn't be any time frame on it, people can go at their own pace.  It may get more participants because I know some people don't participate in MDC because of busy schedules sometimes.

"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »
This would be much like an alternate outlet (and likely more slowly paced) version of my classics marathon which is on hiatus so it could be a fun way to keep going at that. One thing I'm not clear on, each time you finish your dictation you dictate another? Does this mean that people who get around to their dictations immediately would be constantly dictating to the previous person on the list? I guess we'd have to see how the pace plays out depending on how many people participate.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:44:12 AM »
I'd be down.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:22:07 AM »
I think what would happen is that people would start posting lists or we would get an intial group of participants and randomly assign an order to post lists, each person dictating a film to the next person (the first person could dictate to the last to get the ball rolling).  Once the person post a first review, the next person to post a review would dictate to the first person and so on and so on.  Since you add a new film each time you post a review this will be an ongoing thing.

Like I said before it would be good to start a separate thread for the reviews and people will just provide links when they post their new lists.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:23:46 AM »
I like this idea, but I wonder if we would just all make lists of films we wanted to see anyway instead of films we should have seen.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
I like this idea, but I wonder if we would just all make lists of films we wanted to see anyway instead of films we should have seen.

I am sure there is overlap between the two lists, I know there are movies I should have seen and that I want to see, I just haven't yet. 

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:36:31 AM »
Count me in
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »
as far as the movies I "should" see I kind of do this myself using Icheckmovies. I go to the Unchecked list and sort it by "Appearing on the most Top Lists" and try to watch at least two movies of the first 10 on the list every month. Its getting to the point where my top ten will be completely unavilable on dvd though  :-\

this sounds fun, i would do it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »
Like I said before it would be good to start a separate thread for the reviews and people will just provide links when they post their new lists.

The list thread would maybe have an index at the top that keeps track of who is next to dictate and be dictated to and then link to everyone's list and then people would just edit their single post with a link to a review and a revised list each time? This might be more sane than creating a new post every time. I think this might be what you were saying but I wanted to suggest it if it was a slight variation.

Anyway, to the question of should vs. want, I also would probably be using icheckmovies as a main source of the should but I think using some discretion (there are some directors I'm basically not interested in anymore, even if there are films left that people might say I should watch) to pick among them based on tastes/desires isn't a bad thing. We don't want to burn everyone out by having one dud after another.